New Lounger
    Thanks

Fixed duration task, multiple resources (2000)

HI,
    I have a task which is fixed duration, but includes 5 participants at 50% allocation each. I need the duration to remain as exactly 1 week, so I checked fixed duration and NOT effort driven. Still, when I do leveling, it stretches out the task to 3 weeks -- in order to make sure it gets all participants at a 50% level. I would rather it stuck to the 1 week and just reduced the % for some people. What am I doing wrong?

thank you,
    Paula

Thanks

Re: Fixed duration task, multiple resources (2000)

Paula,

Your task is fixed duration with 5 resources applied at 50% and not effort driven. What happens if your task duration is 10 days and at day 9 your task is only 50% complete? There are several options to get the work done such as increase the duration of the task, increase the resource allocation on available resources, or add additional resources. You need to make a decision here. Leveling is acting as it should because something has to give as you have limited the availability of your resources.

One option you may have not tried is this.

Go to Tools, Resources, Resource Leveling, and check the Level only within available slack box. This may help keep the task from "stretching".

Have you baselined your project? Your baseline would show the original one week task with the current plan showning the additional time to complete the task. My suggestion is to go the baseline route to accurately show what is happening.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary,
    Thank you for your recommendations. Unfortunately, changing the level within available slack option didn't work.
    This task is the type of activity which is better estimated by duration, not work. If I could have Microsoft Project keep the duration constant and modify the work, that would be my preference.
    This task is kind of like a training class - except that it doesn't have a specified start date. The start date is determined by the tasks before it, so I can't just block out time in the people's calendars. So, that may be a better approach. Like a training class, how do you force people to work on something for a week, when the start date is not known?

One thing that would help is to treat it like a training class and force Project to allocate the people 50% (or less) to this task. I have raised its priority. I need to be able to allocate these people for 50% of their time, and disregard the total work.
    In other words, "force" the resources assigned 50% during this time period. This mimics what is really happening.

Thank you again,
    PaulaG

Thanks

Paula,

This question is related to your other post. Unlink the updating percent compelte updates the resource status. Go to Tools, Options, Calculation Tab and ensure the radio button for Updating task status updates resource status in disabled. HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)