3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Run-time error 4608 (Word 2002)

I am having some problems with selecting paper trays when sending a document to print, so I recorded a macro that selects the first paper tray and subsequent trays. The macro is as follows:

With ActiveDocument.PageSetup
    .FirstPageTray = 257
    .OtherPagesTray = 256
    End With

When I then run this recorded macro, I get the following error:

Run-time error '4608'
    Value out of range

The values for the paper trays are correct (this macro runs fine in Word 97).

I would be grateful for some suggestions.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Run-time error 4608 (Word 2002)

> The values for the paper trays are correct (this macro runs fine in Word 97).

These kinds of settings are a nightmare, because you run the possibility that for different print drivers Word will use different values. What happens if you re-record on XP; do you actually get the same values?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I didn't make it very clear did I ... the macro was recorded in Word 2002 not in Word 97. When it crashed in Word 2002, I checked the code produced and the tray values are the same as in the macro that runs fine in Word 97.

That's why I'm a bit confused. The macro was recorded in Word 2002 and just running it in Word 2002 produces the run-time error and value out of range!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Okay, I've got two different HP Laserjet 4050 TN printers, one with only built-in trays, and one with an extra huge capacity drawer added to the bottom. Both use the driver "HP Laserjet 4050 Series PS" (the PostScript driver):

The following paper tray values seem valid for both printers, in other words, it happily lets me set up to print to a tray that does not exist on one printer if I tell it to:

Tray 1 = 257
    Tray 1 (Manual) = 258
    Tray 2 = 259
    Tray 3 = 260
    Tray 4 = 261
    Default = wdPrinterDefaultBin [constant for 0]
    AutoSelect = wdPrinterFormSource [constant for 15]

Interestingly, Word does not raise an error if I assign numbered trays when my PDF printer driver is the ActivePrinter. As would be expected, though, the assignments are meaningless and the Page Setup settings are unpredictable as a result.

So, if you're getting an error, my guess would be that you have recorded settings from a PostScript driver and are trying to apply them to a PCL driver or vice versa. Otherwise... I'm at a loss.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response and for trying to help.

The confusing thing for me is that I have recorded a macro that just selects paper trays, using Word 2002 and the driver for the default printer. Then I am trying to run the same recorded macro, on the same PC, using the same Word 2002, the same printer and printer driver, but now Word 2002 crashes with the run-time error, value out of range - this is the same value Word 2002 just recorded in the macro for this printer/printer driver ... some lateral thinking will be required to solve this one, I reckon.