New Lounger
    Thanks

C'mon Guys! Someone must customize envelopes (Word 2002)

This is my first question to the lounge. I did post it earlier, but I am surprised that no one seems to have an answer for this.

I want to print about 100 letters with envelopes that have some fixed text on each envelope This is equivalent to putting a logo on each envelope, though in my case, i need some text that says the contents are confidential. I just want that for these letters, so i am happy to use a different template for them.

I used to do this in Word 2000 using the EnvelopeExtra autotext entry. I got that from a book on Word because I can't find any help in Word that says any more than it is possible to do it. Now I have upgraded to Office XP, I can't make it work. I have put the autotext entry into the template, but Word does not print it.

At the moment, I have generated a template (from a typical letter) that has the envelope attached. The envelope in the template has the standard text I want, the letter has the standard text that I want, plus both have a name and address from the letter I used as my template. I need to edit this for every letter.
    When I open a new document from this template, I get the letter complete with envelope and text. Then i have to change the name and address in both the letter and in the envelope, change the date, change the document properties, save it and print it. There has to be an easier way.
    Without the envelope attached to the letter, each envelope address gets generated automatically each time i print it, but with it attached, i have to change it manually as well as changing the address in the letter itself.
    I don't have the name and address in a database, though some are in an Excel spreadsheet, but i don't know how to fill the information from a database anyway. I have a hundred of these letters to do and it's taking forever this way. I am not happy with mailmerge, which assumes a database anyway, because i want to have a copy of each letter saved on my disk with a filename that tells me who the letter is to and the month and year i sent it.

Can anybody help save my sanity?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: C'mon Guys! Someone must customize envelopes (Word 2002)

Word 2002 now has two autotext entries you can use in envelopes; they must be named EnvelopeExtra1 and EnvelopeExtra2. Unfortunately, this breaks the old setup with EnvelopeExtra, but you can use Tools | Templates and Add-ins... > Organizer... to rename EnvelopeExtra to EnvelopeExtra1.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: C'mon Guys! Someone must customize envelopes (Word 2002)

Thanks Hans,

I knew somebody would have an answer. I've tried that and it works.

It's a pity that Word's help doesn't tell you how to do it.

Cheers