tcob2000

OL Distribution List ?

I want to create a mailing list of approx. 500 e-mail addresses for an organization.
    I'm using OL2000. Anyone know the Maximum number of e-mail addresses in a Distribution List that OL can handle?
    Or any suggestions on a Mailing List Program?
    Thanks for your help.

TCOB2000

Thanks

Re: OL Distribution List ?

I think the problem you will have is in the mail being rejected by having so many To:'s in the header. Our mailserver will dump anything with >100 - other mail servers may choke on it.

Apart from which, each of the addressees are liable to appear on the mail - not a very friendly thing to do. I received such a mail once - when printed, the To: list covered 5 pages with a final 1 line message at the end.

You really need a list server which should only show individual names - check out Servers.

Failing that, a search at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tucows.com>Tucows</A> for 'listserver' and 'list server' throws up a few alternatives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

First I have to say that I don't know the max number of names you can have in a distribution list. However, I have a couple of points about your query.
    Assuming you are using Outlook in corporate mode (see Help | About Microsoft Outlook) there are two ways to avoid Leif's (completely justifiable) issue.
    First way. Make your dist list a Global Distribution List. (By this I mean get the distribution list entered into the Global Address Book - only the Administrator can do this.)
    This has significant advantages over creating just a Personal Distribution List since Oulook deals with the two items in different ways. With a personal dist list, you type "distlistname" in the To: box - when the mail is sent, this text string is expanded and every entry in the dist list is listed in the To: box. Not only does this lead to a large number of names in the To: box (a la Leif's complaint), but it makes the mail item physically very large. In short, a personal dist list is just a quick way for the sender to create a huge To: field.
    With global dist list, (I don't know the actual internal Outlook mechanism), you still type "distlist name" in the To: field and the email gets sent to everyone on the list but the To: field only contains the identifier of the Global Dist list, even for recipients. This makes the email short and it is very much smaller in byte size as well.
    Second way. To avoid large listing of all the recipients is to put the dist list in the Bcc: field. The previous points about physical size of the mail still apply, but even for a personal dist list, the recipients will not be listed (which could well be a preferred solution anyway if you don't want others to know who's on the list besides themselves)
    HTH
    Silverback

akalli

It's about 165. There's a TechNet article about it.

Thanks

Or refer to:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q241/8/25.ASP>Q241825</A> OL2000: How to Broadcast Mail Using Outlook

SUMMARY

This article describes how to send broadcast mail. Broadcast mail is the same e-mail message body text sent to many different addresses, each as a separate message. In this way only one address appears in the To field and a single message is sent to each recipient.

tcob2000

Thank you for all your suggestions.I've decided not to use Outlook for mass mailing, since as we all know it has "quirks" in it. I did find a FREE (for non-commercial use only) e-mail program that is simple to use and has no limits, if anyone needs a copy here is the WebSite:
    http://www.fairlogic.com/worldcast
    Once again, thanks for all your help.