Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Back Up (Windows XP Home; Ver. 5.1, SP1)

Can anyone advise me on backing up on our new computer system? Recently upgraded from Win 95 to XP; our small business used to back up data on floppies (easy) and/ or an external Zip drive (frustrating). Tried to access Microsoft's Backup program in XP only to learn that it is not provided in the OEM version, which this new computer has. A support person suggested a download site for the utility (http://au.geocities.com/winxpert2001/Backup.zip). As soon as I saw "Zip", I panicked because I never have managed to figure out how to open a Zip file!

My question: is this a good idea? Will this downloaded program serve as an effective data back up system? Or should I just back up our data regularly on CD?

NB I am very uncertain in this whole area of back up. Never did master Zip and have only been careful about backing up actual data, never programs, registry, etc. My understanding is that this new computer has a separate drive sector which automatically backs up for me.

As you can tell, I'm a tad confused. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated! Want to do it right starting fresh with this new system!

Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Back Up (Windows XP Home; Ver. 5.1, SP1)

If you just want to back up your data, copying them to CD should suffice.

Apart from that, working with zip files is a doddle in Windows XP. You don't even need WinZip, Windows can create and open zipfiles just as if they were folders - in fact, Windows XP names them compressed folders. You can drag files into and out of compressed (zipped) folders just as if they were normal folders.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Back Up (Windows XP Home; Ver. 5.1, SP1)

Thanks, Hans, for so quick and so understandable a reply! Sounds as if the download is a good idea as the zip is not an issue with XP. For now, however, I can stick to CD for data - at least until I learn how and what to back up aside from data!!

Much appreciation,

Linda