Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win Explorer locks up (XP Pro SR1)

In May I had to re-install Windows. After a couple of months I became aware that after Windows explorer had been open for some time it partially locks up and any attempt to access a drive or directory resulted in the error message that [directory/folder] 'is not accessible. The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.'
    The time to get to this stage is speeded up by use especially, it seems, by deleting files. In time it will always get to this stage even with virtually no use. Refreshing does not help. I can close via the menu and open a fresh explorer with no problems but in time this will go the same way.

I don't think I am using any additional programs than I was before. The only resident ones are AVG, Zone alarm and the disk detector for Creative Jukebox. None of those are recent additions.

I can live with this but it is irritating! Any thoughts other than a re-install?

JohnB

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Win Explorer locks up (XP Pro SR1)

HAve you put your Win CD in and tried SFC { System File Checker}?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I hadn't having not been aware of it until your post.

I have just tried Scannow and purgecache but got no message stating that something untoward had been found. Does it produce an error message if a fauly file is found?

In any case I will check if the problem is still there. Thanks in any case as I am sure sfc will come in use again!

JohnB

Banned Member
    Thanks

If you decide to use SFC,Put your Win CD in and Go to Start, Run, and type sfc /scannow { don't forget the space between sfc and /}

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

SFC is definitely worth running--it's easy; it's quick; no side-effects except 25 minutes of your time--and if it works it can fix significant and lesser problems in Windows XP and IE. Here's what you need to know that MS doesn't explain well:

You can detect file replacement in the Event Viewer Log: See SS Below for Completion box and Extraction of a File on the Fly Using the System Configuration Utility in Windows XP

Also--and all this should be explained in a box when the tool starts like so many Windows boxes--I'm trying to get them to do it in 2005 Longhorn Sytem File Checker. From MSKB 222193.

"If WFP finds the file in the cache folder or if the installation source is automatically located, WFP silently replaces the file. If WFP cannot automatically find the file in any of these locations, you receive one of the following messages, where file_name is the name of the file that was replaced and product is the Windows product you are using"

As to notification you have successfully run it, this is in Event Viewer as well--see the picture at the bootom of the linked thread. Note that you may have to sit while it runs and hit retry a number of times--sometimes in seconds, or in minutes to push the progress bar along. It will finish in between 20-30 minutes--I've run it nearly 100 times on machines. The payoff is it can fix Windows XP or IE when a dozen multi-steped registry edits and scripts to fix them don't.

Detecting File Replacement When SFC Runs: MSDN

You can also specify and control the file you want to extract in Windows XP which can be useful when you know a file is in trouble and you want to replace it.
    Using the Windows XP Extract On the Fly Option--See SS.

Windows File Protection Guide

You have XP Pro--so you can customize WFP (the SFC.exe tool) through Group Policy Editor:
    Using and Customizing Windows File Protection.

See the MSKB's in Lounge Thread: IE Address Toolbar in Taskbar No Worky Post 284402 11 August 2003

222193: Description of the Windows File Protection Feature
    310747: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
    MSDN Library: Windows File Protection
    Windows File Protection