Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP - cuppla problems (2002)

Hi, can anyone help. We noticed over the past few days that whenever we ran up IE6 on our PC using Win XP (Home), it just crashed on us. Also, of late, we can't run Task Manager.

I have just done a system restore going back a week, and we can now at least use IE, however the Task Manager still don't run, and after booting up and logging in, I receive a message saying WIndows cannot find "winstart32.exe". I had a look on another PC running WIN XP (Pro), and this file does not exist on that PC, yet we don't get the error message on it.

I thought I might go in and have a look at "Add/Remove Programs" and found one there which is a little sus - called "Internet Explorer Q818529". The file size is 2.02mb, and was last used (According to Add/Remove) on 28 July.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP - cuppla problems (2002)

I'm afraid you may have The Virus below. You need to run an AntiVirus program as soon as possible.

Read this Worm W32.HLLW.Purol
    Below is just a little of the info on the Symantec Webb Site Above:

Adds the value:

"Winstart"="c:windowswinstart32.exe"

to the following registry keys:

HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersion
    RunServices
    HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mate. I am now downloading the latest from VET and will run it through straight away

Cheers

Gilly

Banned Member
    Thanks

No problem. Hope ya get that dang Worm.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Cowboydawg. No luck, mate - latest virus update from VET didn't pick up on the Worm. Any other suggestions? Help is appreciated, mate.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Gilly--

I'm a little confused as to whether you do or don't actually have a virus or worm so you and cbd forgive me if it's obvious you do--that virus may have a fingerprint of characteristics cbd nailed--I haven't time to research it on one of the sites, but if you're antivirus didn't detect anything and you think it might not be a virus, then run System File Checker by putting "sfc /purge cache" at the command line, then "sfc /scannnow"--the first command is going to take a few seconds. You'll get a progress bar, and pop in your XP CD--there are many threads on SFC on IE/XP with all kinds of links--you may have to hit retry many times to finish the progress bar. You're not gong to see anything that says you're done except that the progress bar got to the end on the desktop, but if you go to start>Control Panel>Admin.Tools>Event Viewer you'll see a box that says it ran successfully. It might replace corrupt file(s). If this is actually a virus/worm than never mind.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, SMBP. Many thanks for you help. I tried your suggestion and ran SFC /scannow, you were right - I did have to retry many times. It ran through ok, restored everything (as far as I can see), I rebooted, and everything looks good, but on logon, I still get the error message that it is unable to locate "winstart32.exe".

Interesting that cowboydawg pointed me to the Symantec site, where this is recognised as belonging to a virus, but our virus software is VET. I downloaded the latest and greatest from VET and ran it through, it still reckons there is nothing there, yet I still get this "winstart32.exe" thingy!

Any other ideas?

Cheers, mate

Lynn

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going after winstart32.exe now--because I don't recall anything off the top of my head so I'll get back to you. If I understand your right--your much better/more stable than you were--you can run Task Manager fine now, but when you boot you're getting that error box on the desktop--or you're getting it intermittently on the desktop while you browse or run something that "winstart.32.exe" can't be found.

I did a search throught the MSKB and google and can't find anything useful on winstart32.exe. nor anywhere in any KB, paper, or the viral directory on Symantec's site.

I read the KB from Symantec cbd linked--in that regard why not two things:
    1) Show all hidden files and folders and search everything for W32.HLLW.Purol. 2) Then follow that KB's directions, export any registry key you find it talks about, and delete as outlined after you've exported the key. Also set a system restore point before you do this.

Sorry about having to prod SFC to keep going--that's definitely a pain, but well worth getting it run if it replaces any files causing a problem.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP, appreciate your help. System is much more stable than before, but still unable to run Task Manager. I get the "winstart32.exe" error whenever logging on. I, too couldn't find anything on MSKB, etc re this thing, and it is frustrating me.

I have done the "show all hidden files" thing and nothing came up except for queries I had posted - didn't show anything up in the Registry, etc. And I am sure that having to prod sfc all the time is not your fault!!

Cheers
    Lynn

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This is a little of a bear because a lot doesn't come up on searching, and if you run the removal tool and any detection tools VET offers and still have the problem--do an AV scan, and then do a search and it comes up empty then where are you? I got the idea from the Symantec KB-I haven't trolled around the registry for this or subkeys, but that winstart is part of some keys. Now I will. I also wonder if Technet or MSDN has anything on winstart and then you can search some file sites to see what comes up.

The other thing this box reminds me of--particularly more if it weren't messing with Task Manager running--btw what precisely happens when you right click the task bar or hit ctrl+alt+delete to bring up Task Manager--is one of these bug boxes that I've seen that download with some applications that have spyware. Humor me and run Spybot and Ad Aware real quick and see what the result is.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again SMBP - I will have to do all of this when I get home tonight (it's lunchtime here now). Will try your ideas out and get back.

BTW, it may well be relevant that we have had the "spybot" worm on this particular PC. Young fella had installed Kazaa, and up she came!. We have since got rid of it (several times).

Cheers

Lynn

Cheers

New Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP - I am an idiot - the file that I get the "can't find" error is called "wlnstart32".exe not "winstart32.exe". (Need to get my glasses checked!!!!) does this help?

Gilly

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't find anything about wlnstart32.exe in the Knowledge Base, MS Newsgroups or Google.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

I didn't have any trouble searching on "winstart32.exe", finding Sophos, Symantec ...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Banned Member
    Thanks

<hr>can't find" error is called "wlnstart32".exe not "winstart32.exe<hr>

Must be something wrong with MY eyes, I don't see the difference except for where the quotes are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast