3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Excel paste link (2000 SP3)

I have an Excel workbook that I am paste-linking to a new Word document. I copy and paste-link blocks of cells manually, which Word then displays as a table. I have encountered an annoying "feature" that causes borders to appear around *every* cell of the Word table. What I expected was the Word table to reflect the borders that were visible in Excel.

I have isolated the cause of the problem to a single cell in my Excel workbook. If I copy that one cell from one sheet to the sheet that I am paste-linking to Word, it causes the borders to appear.

I'm curious if anyone has heard of this problem, or knows of a solution. I have attached a ZIP file with both the Excel workbook, and the Word document. I pared down the Excel workbook to the smallest possible example of the problem.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Excel paste link (2000 SP3)

Does it work better if you paste as HTML? Press Alt+F9 to show field codes, change the r switch (for RTF) to h (for HTML), then press Alt+F9 to hide field codes, select all and press F9 to update.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I am creating numerous Word documents with hundreds of links to multiple Excel spreadsheets. I was trying to avoid having to manually edit the links. I found that manually adding the * MERGEFORMAT switch fixed problem, but I did not want to have to do that for EACH link!
    Rick Groszkiewicz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you display field codes (Alt+F9), you can replace the field switches throughout the document using Find and Replace. For instance, you can replace <font face="Georgia">r</font face=georgia> by <font face="Georgia">r * MERGEFORMAT</font face=georgia> to add the MERGEFORMAT switch, or replace <font face="Georgia">r</font face=georgia> by <font face="Georgia">h</font face=georgia> to change the RTF format to HTML. Then turn off field codes (Alt+F9), select all (Ctrl+A) and update (F9).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, what you described (using search and replace on the link fields) will work as a solution. But I think your original solution using HTML is better.

I will use the paste-link from Excel, but insert the link as HTML instead of formatted text in the first place. That seems to eliminate the bogus borders, and it eliminates the need for any additional manual steps.

Thank you for the suggestions!
    Rick Groszkiewicz