New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading from Evualation Version (XP Professional SP-1)

I recently installed an evualation version of Windows XP that came with my Office 2003 Beta kit. I like the new OS but can't find anything about how to upgrade to a paid-for version of Windows XP Professional. Is there a safe, "easy" way to accomplish this and which version should I purchase?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrading from Evualation Version (XP Professional SP-1)

I don't believe evaluation software is upgradeable. In order to use an upgrade version of XP (home or pro), you need to insert a Win 95, 98, or ME original disk CD during the installation process of the upgrade. If you have one of these, you can do a clean install of XP and just "prove" you own a previous version. I'm pretty sure the eval does not qualify. My 2003 Beta came with Windows Server 2003, not XP, and was beta software, definitely not upgradeable. I'm hesitating here because I don't have any knowledge of Office 2003 coming with an XP eval, but even so evals aren't upgradeable.

BTW you Can use a Windows 95 CD as "proof", even though you can't "upgrade" from 95 to XP (that is install XP on top of 95). It's always best to do a clean install anyway, so that shouldn't really matter.

kip

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Upgrading from Evualation Version (XP Professional SP-1)

You will have to purchase The WinXP Upgrade.