Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Compression (2000 SP-3)

Is there any way to compress an Excel file similar to the way you can compress an Access file?
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compression (2000 SP-3)

Hans,

Thanks. I tried the exporting solution. I could only find a "Save AS" command to get HTML extension. Then I opened that and another "Save As" to get it back to an "xls" Is that what you meant? It didn't make it much smaller, only about 15 Kb. I didn't see any "Export" command anywhere.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You did exactly what I meant - there is no separate 'Export' command. And the result is quite normal; as I wrote in my initial reply, Excel workbooks don't bloat as much as Access databases.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to update link to Excel MVP site)

No, but then, Excel workbooks are (in general) less prone to bloat than Access databases.

However, if you do a lot of editing, some garbage may be left behind. Exporting a workbook to HTML, then importing and saving as XLS again may get rid of it. Make sure to test that the workbook still functions OK.

And if you have VBA modules and userforms, you can use Rob Bovey's Code Cleaner. It can be downloaded (for free) from the Excel MVP Page.