5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Twin Hard Drives

My motherboard has 4 IDE slots and I have two drives on the same cable, one master and one slave. When I separate the two onto separate cables and separate IDE slots, should I leave the jumpers as master and slave, or should the jumpers be both master, or something else?

(Last time I tried this, I screwed some stuff up, although I think it was from putting more than 1gig of ram in W98. Specifically, during multiple, multiple reboots into safe mode with the ram issue, I somehow lost the himem.sys file, but I do not think it was because of the hard drive cable issue).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Twin Hard Drives

Each IDE slot should be able to provide for a master and a slave, so if you put each hd on it's own channel, each would be the master device for that channel.

kip

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just for my education, since I've never seen a motherboard with FOUR IDE "slots," what's the brand and model of that mobo?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra

Banned Member
    Thanks

SOYO P4S-645DX Dragon Ultra Tweakers.com

As expected, there are four IDE and one floppy connector available on the SOYO P4S-645DX, located in most suitable positions. While the primary and secondary ATA133 IDE connectors are situated horizontally to the PCI slots, the RAID and floppy connectors are situated vertically. The onboard RAID is brought to life by the HighPoint HPT373 controller, the controller of choice by most integrated solutions these days. It can support multiple configurations including RAID 0, 1 and 0+1 for usage for regular IDE operation

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, this seems to be a good mobo...most all of the upper end Soyos are easy to install and have lots of bios settings in place of jumpers. I am still using the RAID IDE as purely IDE, but the manual indicates that the RAID aspect could be quite nice to have.

I think my problems when separating the hard drives comes from a previous boot loader when I used to dual boot linux and windows because every time I split the drives into two cables, it just locks. When I put them back as master and slave whether on the primary IDE, secondary IDE, or on one of the RAID IDE, it boots fine.

I ordered a sliding aluminum mobile dock HD rack to install a third physical HD as a backup mech up top...looks mighty cool though I haven't got another drive to put in it yet! Guess I might order two HD since the mobo RAID supports hot swappable.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you and Cowboy, Mike, for the "tech ed." That's what I get for being retired - I'm fast getting technically obsolete. I had never seen a mobo capable of 8 IDE devices, I guess because I never got to do anything with RAID when I was still working - the network techs always did that kinda stuff. So, how 'bout your original question? Did it work out OK when you reset the HDD jumpers? By the way, if I read it right on that web page, it said this mobo doesn't support USB 2. I wonder why they did that? Thanks for the sidelight info, guys!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I never could get it to work Al, with the drives on separate cables. No matter what I do, system locks. Almost certain it is the way I have W98 configured though...swap file on one partition, linux boot loader, etc. At this point, I am just leaving it alone! It works like it is! As far as the USB 2.0, I wondered that myself.