5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New HD plan (XP Professional)

I am planning to install a new large a larger SCSI hard disk. I now have 3 HDs and plan to scrap the smallest HD and setup my new HD as my C drive. My current C drive will become my D drive and remain unchanged until the transition is complete and I am satisfied I no longer need anything on the old C drive. Old D will become E and used for backup purposes. I plan to start by installing Window XP Professionsal (the same copy that is on my current C drive) on the new HD. I have Service Pack 1 on a CD so I will then install SP-1 if it is not installed automatically in the installation process. I am concerned that I have the latest drivers for my hardware. Will this be taken care of automatically in the OS instalation process, or should I copy drivers from my old C drive to a CD and then back to my new C drive?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: New HD plan (XP Professional)

If you use a third party program like PowerQuest Drive Image you can do a Drive Copy to your new Hard Drive. Drive Copy makes an exact copy of the Hard Drive, Operating System,Settings,Drivers, everything. It will be an exact duplicate. Then you don't have to worry about it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have been considering this option, and trying to decide if starting with a "clean sheet of paper" thus getting rid of all the accumulated junk has more advantage than just imaging the drive. I am beginning to lean toward the image option. The new disk will retain the junk, but it will certainly be much faster. Reinstalling all my software and software patches, and upgrades will be a real challenge. I hope others will chime in here.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Well one thing is. You can always do a clean install on the New Hard Drive making it C: Drive and the old C: Drive becoming D: drive can be accessed at any time by booting to it if you need to. In the mean time you could be moving things you really need from D: drive over to your new C: Drive from Windows Explorer. That way you have a clean install to work with and setup like you want and you can always go into BIOS and set it to Boot from D: Drive if you need to get to something you haven't had time to install on C: Drive. That way you kill two birds with one stone. { You can boot to your old D: Drive to use if needed, and you have a fresh clean Install on C: Drive to setup like you want and take your time}

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that is exactly the plan I have been considering, but the image does have an appeal. I am going to think about it for a few more days.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yeah. I have been using PowerQuest Drive Images "Drive Copy" for along time. I have an exact copy of my C: Drive setup as my Secondary Master and Duel Bootable. I do a Drive Copy about once a week, that way if C: Drive ever goes down I can be up and running again in just a few seconds by booting to my Secondary Master E: Drive. which is an exact duplicate. Then if need be I can do a Drive Copy of E: back over to C: and be ready to go in about 8 minutes. The time it takes to Drive Copy about 12GB of OS and Data.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I notice that Drive Image 7 requires .NET Framework 1.1, which can be downloaded from the Windows Update site. Are there any negatives to installing .NET Framework 1.1?

Banned Member
    Thanks

If there is I haven't found any. Seems to work just fine. The only thing that changed is Drive Image 7.0 works faster. I love it.