4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Program Sharing: EMERGENCY AT MEETING!

Hi all,

Im attempting to install a database at a customers site, however, a problem has been brought up.

They have terminal server and another server. They'd like access 97 runtime, crystal runtime etc installed on the other server, and only a link to the database installed on terminal server. Therefore terminal server would use the software on the other PC instead of locally.

Can this be done? If so, any pointers would be great.
    We're only here for a while so its a bit of an emergency. If a solution is found later, I'd still appreciate the answer though. Many thanks,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Program Sharing: EMERGENCY AT MEETING!

Hi Phil,

What you are talking about it doable - however we usually recommend splitting the database application into a front-end and a back-end so you aren't sharing the same front-end with multiple users. That way you can deploy interface changes without kicking everyone out of the database - that's a major issue with WAN users and Terminal Server or Citrix. In that scenario, the front-end would run on the Terminal Server, while the back-end could run on a database server - it could even be SQL Server. Response times are somewhat slower than working directly on a LAN, but they are generally workable as long as the connection from workstation to the Terminal Server runs at 256K or better. Hope this gets to you soon enough - I was out of the office until a few minutes ago.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Program Sharing: EMERGENCY AT MEETING!

I didnt explain it very well. It wasnt the database that my client wanted on a different server, it was the software that runs it!!! I found out how to reference .dlls etc on a different machine, but I now believe its imposible to reference a servers registry from another pc.

As simple as I can put it, the request I had was to install Access on PC1 and have a link to the .exe on PC2 and somehow make it miraculously work without any of the registry, dlls and anything else that goes with it.

I had a quick scour of the net and made the post here, but eventually managed to convince the client we'd need to install access on the server they didnt want us to install anything on.