Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

IP Address Error

Several times over the last couple days, when I start up my PC, my cable modem (RS-232) won't connect. The only way I can correct it is to turn off my machine, unplug my modem, and then start over.

When I check the Event Viewer, I noticed coinciding warnings:

"Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00C0F048D3BE. The IP address being used is 169.254.84.89. "

What's causing this, and "is it fixable"?

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IP Address Error

Chuck--

I'd (and you probably have already) do an "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconifg /renew" at the command prompt, and if you still are having a problem I'd call the ISP's Tech Support.

SMBP

Thanks

SMBP:

Yea, I can fix it... I want though to *resolve* it so that it quits happening...

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

SMBP:

As a matter of fact, I just now got off the phone with Time-Warner (RoadRunner), who told me I looked fine from their side, and they said that the firewall might be causing it... to "turn everything off, turn everything on....." which is what I do already, so... no help there...

Chuck

Thanks

I solved the problem the old-fashioned way: I circumvented it... I went back to a USB connection for my moidem, so now it doesn't have any IP network address problem at all...

Question though: now Win2K is telling me that I have a network card disconnected, which of course I do...

Is there any way to clue Win2K into the fact that I don't need that crd right now, so ignore it?

Regards,
    Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sounds like you are trying to use a "Static" IP address when you need to use a "Dynamic" address. Here with ComCast and when on ATTBI, I had to go to a dynamic address. When on @home, I had a static address, but it was issued by @Home and ATTBI could not use it. I had the static address because I was using 98 and 2K on the same machine and @home would not support duel booting. Also machines multi booting to the non-Windows OS's needed a static address.

You will have better performance with a 10-100 network card than you will with USB.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Dave:

Sounds like that might be it (static vs, dynamic) and I know from my discussion(s) today that the address IS dynamically assigned... how doe I find out how/why the card is trying to use a static address, and of course, what then do I do to rectify it?

Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

To resolve this:

You in all probability have a dynamic IP. Comcast and Time Warner work closely together, and I don't know about supporting static IP's--enterprise accounts can get them, but home users don't. They get dynamic IP's which usually allow 4 computers. If you check the lan dialogue box details, you've been dealt a dynamic IP in the last 72 or so hours. Check Event Viewer>Systems>DHCP--that'll confirm it as well. Call back Convergys contracted Tech Support and tell them you want it resolved--after all you're paying good money. No firewall off on song and dance. Everyone is using a firewall and they know that. If they won't help then find out the number of the local RR office from your county who has contracts with them to use some of their right of ways. They know it.

This also will make the benefactor who loaned the Roberts'--Ralph and Brian $1 billion in a Seattle restuarant to sustain their company in 1997 happy. His operating system Windows 2000 will be communicating with your modem down the backbone he built and reenforced satisfactorily. His name: Billy Gates.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck--

Maybe these will be of some help--but I'd still just call them. You pay not to have glitch aggrevation. I know you're more than willing to work with your system to get it the way you want.

814985: How To Configure A Direct Cable Connection With Windows XP Parts 1-5

813936: How To Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home

This should be Win 2K extrapolable and if that's spelled wrong then it should be applicable; it should extrapolate also; they probably have Win 2K counterparts--usually they do I just ran into the one for XP.

SMBP

Thanks

SMBP:

I just (again) got off the phone with TW... I had switched out my USB, and gone back to the RS-232 for the sake of the phone call... he told me he could "see" me (I was physically connected) but no way could I sign onto the net... so they schedued an appt with the "high level" guy -- for FRIDAY...

So after I was on the phone I swapped back the USB... and here I am, so it obviously works...

Thank G-- I have both...

Chuck

Thanks

SMBP:

64.0.203.0.246 is the current that I get from ipconfig... TW swears that no home user ever has a fixed ip... only dynamic...

So I dunno...

Chuck

Thanks

SMBP:

I forgot: and that's with my USB connect... NOT the ethernet... the enet card is in but not cable-attached...

Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I sure hope it's smooth sailing and you omitted saying so but I'll bet you have a dynamic IP and they don't deal static ones to home user/networks.

Good luck with your connection. They usually give home users an IP address in the mid 20's like 24 or 25--169 is a default disconnection address assigned by Windows/Microsoft whose owner is the reason the Roberts even have a cable company unless you are using a router to network 169... is assigned though for routers on home networks. You can pick up some good info at Broadbandreports.com and just click on the Comcast or Roadrunner forum, and the Navas site is an excellent site full of good info and tips, with helpful search engine here.

Ed SMBP--I have been saying all along this company TW or CC or any hybrids locally of their joint venture don't deal static IP's to home users--for enterprise bucks you can get them

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Ed SMBP--I have been saying all along this company TW or CC or any hybrids locally of their joint venture don't deal static IP's to home users--for enterprise bucks you can get them--that was a typo up there. They only deal dynamic IP's to home users and you can quickly confirm that from EV or the network lan box details.

SMBP

Thanks

SMBP:

"...you can quickly confirm that from EV or the network lan box details. "

How?

Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast