Lounger
    Thanks

Switchboard Manager (Access 2000)

I created a switchboard for my DB and then deleted it or open it up in design view made a change and got an error and that is when I deleted. I created a new switchboard but it does not show up with the other forms. How can I get my switchboard to show with the forms and then default when I open my DB. I did set to deafult as well!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Switchboard Manager (Access 2000)

I'm sorry, your description is very confusing. Did you delete the Switchboard form? Or did you delete the Switchboard Items table? Or both?

Lounger
    Thanks

I created a switchboard deleted it from the forms object and created another new switchboard and it is not working. The switchboard does not show up at all anywhere in the application. The only way I see the switchboard properties if I go to tools, Switchboard Manager!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To understand what is happening, it is useful to know what the Switchboard Manager does. It actually creates two objects:

- A table named Switchboard Items
    - A form named Switchboard.

Once you have created the switchboard, the Switchboard Manager only looks at the Switchboard Items table, it never looks at the Switchboard form any more. You have to trick it to create a new Switchboard form. This takes a few steps; it is not very difficult but you must execute them carefully, in the right order:
    1. <LI>Activate the Tables tab of the database window.
      <LI>There will be a table named 'Switchboard Items'. Rename it to something else, for example 'Switchboard Items Old'.
      <LI>Select Tools | Database Utilities | Switchboard Manager.
      <LI>Access will tell you that it can't find a valid switchboard and ask if it's OK to create a new one. Click 'Yes'.
      <LI>Switch to the Forms tab to verify that Access has created a new form named 'Switchboard'. Don't open it yet, it won't do anything useful now.
      <LI>Switch back to the Tables tab. You will see that a new table named 'Switchboard Items' has been created.
      <LI>Delete this table - it is useless.
      <LI>Rename the original, renamed version back to 'Switchboard Items'.
      <LI>The 'Switchboard' form should now act correctly again.
    If it doesn't work, post back with more details.

Lounger
    Thanks

The switchboard is working but I wanted to know how come it's not the first thing I seen when I log into the application. I have the switchboard set to default. But it is not acting as the default form! Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have set the Switchboard form to be the startup form in Tools | Startup..., but it is not displayed when you open the database, something else must be interfering. Do you have an AutoExec macro, and if so, what does it do?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

why bother using the switchboard manager at all? it's just as easy to create a modal-type form with yer buttons and what not and set that to open on startup. i never use the switchboard manager because it seems unnecesarily complex for what it claims to do.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have just one switchboard page, the code behind the switchboard form is overkill, but it comes into its own if you have several switchboard pages. The code handles that neatly, so why reinvent the wheel? Besides, my users often have to work with several databases. They like the consistency of the switchboard interface. And it's easy to tweak the form if you need it.

Of course, all kinds of alternatives are possible, such as Helen Feddema's version. If you've got something that suits your purpose, stick with it.