New Lounger
    Thanks

Address Book Disappeared (Office XP / OE6)

On Sunday I installed Office XP Pro as an upgrade to Office 2k. Thought everything else seems to work fine, when I went to import my address book from Outlook Express into the new Outlook, I discovered the address book had disappeared. A search revealed no .wab file on the hard drive. I looked in the directory it is supposed to be in: Cocuments and SettingsOwnerApplication DataMicrosoftAddress BookOwner.wab is there but seems to be newly created with only one entry. The original had many hundreds of entries. I fear it is gone forever and that even a system restore would not find it.

Any help?

Thanks

Re: Address Book Disappeared (Office XP / OE6)

The "identities" system that OE uses to hide away its files is somewhat impenetrable. I don't have an OE address book, but my mailbox is in a folder under an incredibly well hidden path like this:

Cocuments and SettingsusernameLocal SettingsApplication DataIdentities{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}MicrosoftOutlook Express

If this doesn't help, try starting up Outlook Express. Is the address book still there? If so, maybe you can export it to a known location. Or add an entry and then do a systemwide search for files updated today and sort by time to see where that address book is located.