New Lounger
    Thanks

Numbering Tables and Figures (AGAIN) (XP)

Last week I posted a problem I was having numbering Tables and Figures using chapter numbers. Hans posted a reply, and I thought that took care of it. Alas, all that did was make all the tables and figures number sequentially, WITHOUT restarting with each chapter. I need to understand why what I am doing isn't working. I am selecting a table, inserting a reference|caption, checking "include chapter numbers" - section begins with "Heading 8", and typing in the title. Each Table ends up being numbered II-1, Figure IV-1. I have done a search for all instances of "Heading 8" and it is only on each chapter title page. The client needs this document yesterday, so any polite suggestions would be welcome.
    If you don't believe in dragons, it is curiously true
    That the dragons you disparage
    Choose to NOT believe in you.
    ~J. Prelutsky

Thanks

Re: Numbering Tables and Figures (AGAIN) (XP)

Press view the field codes (Alt+F9) and post what they are for, say, the first two table captions of a problem chapter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Numbering Tables and Figures (AGAIN) (XP)

Assuming your chapters are numbered and set at outline level 1 you should have modified the switch to "s1" in the field codes which makes the figures restart after a level 1 paragraph.

Thus the field codes for each Table caption will look like this {StyleRef "Heading 1" n }-{ SEQ Table s1 } where "Heading 1" is the chapter style

If you can't work this out, post a sample file (containing just some sample captions) and we can modify it to show you how its done.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia