2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've turned off XP's Indexing Service (XP Pro)

I just turned off the check box "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching". I turned it off at the root of drive C: and for all of its folders and sub-folders.

Presumably Windows XP has been busy indexing my files for the two weeks since I installed the OS. Where are these indices? I would probably want to delete them. Is there a downside to this? I should add that it is at least a year since I last did a file search looking for a specific piece of text. If I ever wanted to do it again it would probably be limited to documents in My Documents.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: I've turned off XP's Indexing Service (XP Pro)

John--

One upside which is ubiquitous on Windows tip sites and many XP sites, is to turn off indexing to get a speed boost hit, particularly if you don't use any of the Search options within the OS or browser frequently the tip goes. Tech TV has put that tip up over 50 times on their shows and site over the past 2-3 years. I am not sure I can quantitate the speed hit, but I've turned it off with no adverse consequences ever since I saw the tip all over the place from Windows MVP sites and XP and Windows sites. I also use the XP "Show in Groups" feature alphabetically for all my folders with the exception of the downloads folder which I change to show by date so I can track my downloads time wise and for a particular day or week--and because of this, I use search much less--I don't need to--the folder is alphabetically listed. I make sure I name my folders so the key word I'll use to find it is the first.

I can't speak to a downside, because I'm not noticing any.

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for what you said, SMBP, but my question about 'downside' was related to deleting the existing indices. Have you any idea where Windows has put them and what they are called?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Why exactly, just curious, do you want to know where? I think the answer is going to be a lot like the threads we've had on where history is saved in IE--I don't think there are discrete points. Are you worried about recovery of some of them if you turned it off? From reading, I don't know if system restore saves "them" or how this would be determined. You could email Mr. Rubenking-at PC Mag--he could tell you for certain, I think.

"Microsoft created the problem inadvertently because it tried to construct the XP search engine so it would perform well and be easy to use. To accomplish this, the boys from Redmond decided to construct the filter components only for file types associated with common documents. Microsoft thinks common files types are:

* MIME files (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extension)

* HTML files (HyperText Markup Language)

* Microsoft Office files

* Plain Text files

* Binary files (Most files not included in the above items)

----by Vinny LaBash "Repair the XP Search Engine"

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Some very experienced XP users, including one of the mavens of mavens, Neil Rubenking from Ziff Davis PC labs, believe Search is systemically broken in XP.

I have some idea of what they filter John, but I don't know that they store the indices in any one place. I am now the proud reader of 25 more articles on XP's flawed search than before. Here are the articles that go to the places where search indexes--but I don't think that's going to give you a compartmented view of how to store them. You could set restore points and hope they would be saved. Maybe someone can nail a single place. I've seen reference to files but no one firm place. Here's some of what I found.

Repair the XP Search Engine--Did You Know it Was Broken?
    Indexing Service
    Improve Windows XP Search Facility
    Fix the Windows XP Search by Neil J. Rubenking, PC Mag
    PC World: Give XP's Search Tool A Good Going Over
    Ask BV: How Do I Disable the Windows XP Search

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks SMBP, for the promptness of your answer. However I explained why I wanted to know where the indices were in my original question and in my response to your previous answer: it is so that I could delete them if I felt that this would be advantageous (ie if they were big, or if there were lots of them).

Thanks also for the useful links. BTW, the third one doesn't work any more.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This makes sense John --sorry I missed it. I've become aware of some strange places that can insidiously accumulate some rather large files taking up significant real estate through the lounge that need to be checked and cleaned I hadn't suspected before and they aren't the usual suspects most people think about. I'll be on the lookout and pass on anything helpful I can find.

SMBP