Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What I did on my holidays

I've been thinking about this for a while. It's a team-building tool, what you use to get new programmers up to speed. Also useful if you've been hacking VBA code in Word for a few years and can't remember where you've put it.

Given the size and speed of computers that can be had for $(canadian)800 nowadays, I don't expect any objections to the aspirations of the project.

As you will gather from the attached doc, I have got the program code in place to drill up as far as the computer (my hard drive partitions are C: through V.

I have checked my encoded template and am ready to start the "search" code, which is the purpose of the exercise. I'll keep you posted.

Also I want a guinea-pig or two. Only those who (1) are happy coding VBA and (2) have spare time on their hands need apply.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Reading/Swindon, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Re: What I did on my holidays

So what sort of size when saved does the library string turn out to be?

Didn't MS write something like this called findfast?

Intriguing idea though. I'm assuming the code will work for all VBA apps, not just word? If so I'd be happy to road test - though the value of my input might not be as great as perhaps you were hoping for!

Brooke

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>So what sort of size when saved does the library string turn out to be?

Dunno yet. I have the code in place to drill down from a computer (I'm too poor to own a LAN) and have run/tested the code from the template level down to the line of code. yesterday I refined my ideas on the string format; it was too bulky. I delivered a 191-character string from a single template. Admittedly I was using 3-character tags ("(L)", "(P)", "(M)") for items. The next step will be to use single-character tags (CHR$(00), CHR$(01) etc), so the size should come down a bit.

I have somewhere code which will PKZip on-the-fly a string in VBA. I might add that on once I get a template string. Is there anyone alive knows how big a string variable can get before we run into a "Design Feature" (tm)?

I too am curious about the scope of the project. Most of my templates are locked, so the first computer-wide run will skip those. There are quite a few stale clones of Normal-dots out there.

> Didn't MS write something like this called findfast?

Dunno. Could they store the VBA-state of a LAN in a text file each day? I'm thinking of an archived snapshot of all public VBA code, taken each night at 8:00p.m. Also the ability to list all procedures which satisfy a search constraint and pop them up in a GUI frame of some sort, to paste them into a module, to delete them from the library or from their source file. It's time to remove duplicated code across my system.

> Intriguing idea though. I'm assuming the code will work for all VBA apps,

The code I'm at now will ("Given a file, work your way through all the code modules"). The code above that is tested in other applications ("Here's a computer, locate all files with specific characteristics"). The code in between ("Loop through all modules of a document") might change for Excel/Access, although not markedly. That would be but a migration issue.

I have a vehicle "Files", which is supposed to examine all Files on a system (subject to criteria). I want to see if I can't use that as a front-end, rather than import its code into this app. I dislike haveing two apps with the same code. Makes it tough on my team of maintenance programmers (grin!), especially on weekends.

> might not be as great as perhaps you were hoping for!

Yeah. That's what Steve Gerber thought four days ago, and look how I've grown since. Welcome aboard!!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.vif.com/users/cgreaves/procp.htm>Download Procedure Clipper</A>

If you've been wanting to locate missing code, I feel courageous enough to let you try this version Procs091.dot.

It is not written for speed in building the encoded library, but this evening it got to be pretty fast in searching it.

Also the GUI itself is thrilling.

I still have the occasional problem with a template holding Word6/Wordbasic code.