Lounger
    Thanks

Defragger recommendation

I don't particularly like the way XP Home defrags and I'm considering Diskeeper or PerfectDisk as alternatives, but they're pretty expensive. I just tried out Perfect Disk and it seems to leave an awful lot of red squares (=fragmented files) in the graphical display. The statistics it reports are quite good, and it did defrag my C: drive which is too full now for the built-in defragger, but intuitively when I look at that display and see all those scattered bits of red -- some of them in among the blue non-fragmented files, but some of them right there in the middle of free space -- it doesn't seem to quite live up to its claims. Anyone else experience this? Any advice?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Defragger recommendation

I don't think you can go wrong with either--they both do a stand-up job and will reward you with better performance. Both of them have a lot of happy users.

Two things:

1) I don't know how full your drive is, but rather than two full for the built in defragger the correct, and probably single most important concept in using a defragger is to leave adequate free space . MS recommends a minimum of 20% and Diskeeper Support uniformly recommends 30%.

2) Often complaints about what didn't get defragged provided you have enough free space are pointing to system files and another files that aren't meant to be defragged by design. The sitses have papers on this, and tech support with both companies is well versed in this issue.

We have a lot of back threads in XP and some in Software Finds on defraggers in the last several months.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm just wonder: what you didn't like in built-in defragmenter (scaled version of Disckeeper) ?

If you have not enough free space on your drive, it would be a problem for any defragmenter to do its job. Consider to move some folders (especially your data, pictures and music files) to another drive. You can also clean your temp folders and Internet cache. Uninstall unused programs and games. Use Disk Cleanup utility for this tasks (Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup or Start | Run, type CLEANMGR and hit Enter).

Graphic representation of fragmented files is only approximation. Statistics is more reliable, especially detailed one. It is perfectly normal to have several fragmented files. Remember, some of the files can not be moved during defragmentation process.

To improve your computer performance, try other approaches - for example, reduce the number of programs loading up at startup. Click Start | Run, type MSCONFIG and hit Enter, then click Startup tab. You will see the list of programs "eating" your computer memory and slow down the computer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, I used Diskeeper for a while and thought it was good. I then tried out Perfect Disk having defragged with Diskeeper , and it took Perfect Disk almost an hour to run first time. It now runs much more quickly. I have noticed a performance increase since using Perfect Disk and am going to continue using it. Having said that, I agree that both are good programs. Take your choice!
    Elaine

Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>We have a lot of back threads in XP and some in Software Finds on defraggers in the last several months.<hr>

Can I find them by any method other than clicking on next next next next? As far as I can tell, the Search function's still off, right? Actually, both Diskeeper and Perfect Disk are bragging that they need as little as 5% free space on a drive. MS doesn't just recommend 20%, it refuses to do a thing below 15%.

There may be a few programs I could uninstall, but not all that many -- I've been pretty careful with this install, since it was a nightmare to begin with. Practically everything gets used. I was even careful from the very start not to install Windows components I knew I wasn't going to use, not to mention the games that I would have used all too much. My data live on a different partition, and so do some programs.

Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I'm just wonder: what you didn't like in built-in defragmenter (scaled version of Disckeeper) ?<hr>

It leaves a lot of files standing around in the middle of the free space, which obviously doesn't make sense. I like the concept of PerfectDisk better, putting the files in an order that will ensure minimum fragmentation, so I'm disappointed that it won't compact everything even further, though I see the point about some files being untouchable. For the time being it's just a hangover from when I had a sluggish hard drive (well, that's still the case on the family laptop!). I used to run Norton Speed Disk and noticed the difference. With XP, I don't really notice a difference in performance, but it's bound to happen sometime.

My second objection is inadequate information -- the old Norton thing was very good at reporting the details if you wanted them, including where on the drive the Windows swap file happened to be at the moment. Too bad it doesn't work with NTFS.

What I really need is a bigger C partition but it's a kind of Catch-22 situation -- I can't get Partition Magic because I have RAID1 which it doesn't work with, and I can't seem to create images of C either so that I can dispense with the belt-and-braces of RAID1. I've got backups of all installation files, but still...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I still think some of the files that won't move may be by design no matter which defragger you end up with, and I wonder if there is anyway to partition further so you can leave yourself some enough free space to really defrag--there are a list of files that won't be moved on the website that makes your XP defragger (Diskeeper) and Perfect Disk's site. Diskeeper will defrag the MFT now automatically--if you have need to defrag the Page file you have to do it on boot. You can set it and forget it and defrag in the background real time, but I do it manually every night in 4 minutes or under for 4 drives full of programs.

SMBP