Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pasting excel sheets onto word documents (word 2000)

I am starting to write a thesis that will involve alot of tables and figures that was created in excel (and some draw-ups in powerpoint). What I am trying to figure out now is how to scale down a worksheet in excel so that it can fit onto a word document so that I can use it as a figure or table. Right now all I know to do is to copy and past onto the word doc, but it covers the whole sheet and only a fraction of the actual information from the excel worksheet gets on the word document. Is there a way to scale down excel worksheets to fit them on word docs? And can I do the same for powerpoint drawings too? Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pasting excel sheets onto word documents (word 2000)

Instead of trying to scale down the Excel worksheets, you should think about ways of summarizing your data in smaller tables that don't need downscaling. Nobody likes to pore over huge tables in tiny font sizes in a thesis or article in a scientific journal. Same for PowerPoint slides: the best way to lose an audience fast is to cram large amounts of text or data onto a slide. Slides should be used to point out the essential elements of your presentation, not to present the actual data.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand your point. However, Some material in the excel worksheet is a summerized portion of data and others will only be used as example illustrations/figures (or pictures) to only show how some data is organized. The actual data on the worksheets I have created isn't that huge at all becuase I can scale it down to print it in excel on paper and everything is still clear enough to understand the general point. When I copy and past what seems to be a smaller portion of the worksheet, it still takes up a large portion of the page in word (then I really don't have enough information from the worksheet to get the point across). Is there a way to get the same scaled-down version on word as I would in order to print, without having to cut and past the old fashion way (wouldn't think it would be appropriate for a thesis).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you paste as a picture (metafile), the result is nicely scaleable. You can change the margins for the paragraph containing the picture to negative values (outside the page margins, as long as you stay within the printable area of the printer) to accomodate large pictures.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds like the potential solution but how exactly do I past the selected data from excel as a metafile picture? I'm not sure I even know what a metafile is.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are (at least) two ways:

1) In Excel, select a range. Keep the Shift key down while choosing the Edit menu. The Copy option will now read Copy Picture. You will be presented with some options, among which the choice between bitmap and picture; choose the latter. Activate Word and choose Edit | Paste.

2) Copy the range the normal way in Excel, then choose Edit | Paste Special... in Word. Select the Picture option.

A metafile is a graphics format that is more or less independent of the screen resolution, as opposed to a bitmap that only looks good at exactly the same resolution as the original.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, it works just find.