New Lounger
    Thanks

Win2000 vs Updates

My Windows 2000 system was working nicely. Then I installed the security patch for Outlook Express 5.5, number q330994 I believe, followed by Service Pack 3. Considerable distress followed.

The enduring symptom has been "Svchost.exe has committed errors and will be shut down." I uninstalled both "upgrades." That made little difference.

After researching svchost.exe a bit, I found that the iteration that shuts down appears to be running the Remote Procedure Call service. I set the properties of that service to restart if it is stopped. However, as soon as it shuts down once, Outlook Express and Norton Utilities pretty much go to hell. After the un-installs, the system seems to operate software that is not related to the Internet fine, (e.g., MS Word, Excel, DOS), until I run the dial-up connection. Then up comes the error message in 3-10 minutes, most rapidly if I'm editing messages in Outlook Express. Once that happens, Reply, Print, and Forward stop working, and I can not copy & paste text.

I thought I had brought Win2000 up to SP2, but now appears that it was not. (Not at the machine now, can't check as I write this). The MS Blaster fix refused to install with a message that it required SP2 or higher.

Suggestions on how to fix this situation will be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2000 vs Updates

Service Packs are cumulative. Thus, by installing Service Pack 3, you should not have received the MS Blster fix error message that you mention.

Have you tried reinstalling Internet Explorer since the problems started?
    Gre

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2000 vs Updates

Try installing SP 4.