3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Office-like Suite (freeware)

Gidday,

I 'discovered' the following free software site recently. It appears to be a MS Office-like product composed of "...four full-featured applications: a word processor, spreadsheet, graphics editor and digital photo organizer." The site offers an upgrade to the free version that includes "...Extend the functionality of PC SUITE! Add the following professional features: thesaurus and hyphenation, web photo album, mail merge with database support, RTF and XML export, bar code support and text-to-speech."

The link is http://www.software602.com/products/pcs/.

I imagine it might suit a user that only requires the basics of word processing or spreadsheeting. Does anyone have any experience with it, and care to offer comments here please?

Thanks, Leigh

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Office-like Suite (freeware)

I've not used that, or any other, so called free office suite.

Such software is not reallly free if one takes into account:

1. The increased difficulty/uncertainty of exchanging files with MSFT Office suites.
    2. The inability to use 3rd party add-ins/macros written for Microsoft Office.
    3. The inability to take advantage of other apps interfaces with Microsoft Office.
    4. The inability to use VBA and, soon, .NET languages wit hOffice.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Office-like Suite (freeware)

I haven't used that office suite myself, but have heard nice things about it.

Personally, I use OpenOffice.org's suite on my Linux installations, and for what I do, they transfer nicely to and from MS Office 2000 software.

OO.o software is also multi-platform, so it's also nice for those who use many operating systems, at various levels. I don't know aobut software602's platform (but I'll have to look).
    Christopher Baldrey