2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Comment text style (2002)

(I'm new to Word 2002, so that may explain this problem....) I want to modify the style for Comment Text in Word 2002 (XP). But I can't figure out how to do it. When I open a new comment, the style box on the format menu shows the style as Comment Text, which is what I'd expect. In Word 2000 all I needed to do to modify the style was to open Format - Style, select Comment Text from the list, click Modify, etc.

In Word 2002, I go to Format - Styles and Formatting, and then my problem starts: The task pane that appears on the right does not show Comment Text as an available style in any view (neither Available Styles nor All Styles), so I can't figure out for the life of me to see how to modify it. There's got to be a way to do this, but if there is, is sure isn't intuitive. Can anyone explain?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Comment text style (2002)

When you are typing/editing a comment, the Styles and Formatting task pane shows Comment Text as style (see screenshot). Right click this and select Modify...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (11.4 KB, 0 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

On my machine, it does not show that. While typing a comment, it shows "Comment Text" in the styles box on the formatting toolbar, BUT in the styles and formatting task pane, it shows "Normal" (where your screen shot shows "Comment Text") and there is no listing for "Comment Text" at all in the listing below. That's my problem. I'm using Word 2002 SP-2. I already thought that it might have something to do with a corrupted normal.dot, so I deleted mine and let Word create a new one. Still no Comment Text style.

NOTE: The same problem exists for "Footnote Text" style. The problem occurs both in docs created in Word 2000 originally, and docs created in Word 2002, so it's not some sort of "legacy doc" issue.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strange, both at home (SP-2 Dutch version) and at work (SP-2 English version), the box at the top of Styles and Formatting shows the Comment Text style.

Select Custom... from the dropdown list at the bottom of the Styles and Formatting pane. Can you find Comment Text in the list?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! That custom styles thing did it. And I was just about to uninstall and reinstall Word from scratch. What a dumb thing for Microsoft to have done: "All styles" doesn't actually display all styles. Thanks again.

Thanks

I find that new pane to be a real PITA. I added this macro to Normal.dot

Sub FormatStylesOld()
    Dialogs(wdDialogFormatStyle).Show
    End Sub

and used Tools>Customize to add it to my Format menu and change the accelerator keys so that when I reflexively type Alt+O,S I