Thread: Webmail

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Webmail

Hi loungers
    I'm asking this on behalf of a colleague. I should know the answer, but I don't!
    Colleague wants to collect his email from other PC's, for example internet cafe, public library. This works OK but the question is, after he's logged off and someone else use that PC, is there anywhere on that PC a copy of the emails he read i.e. is there a potential privacy issue? - Note that in general, PC's in such locations do not get switched off/shut down between users.
    Is the answer is something to do with the cache and whether this is cleaned out when someone logs off a user?
    Can any lounger help with this, please.
    TIA
    Silverback

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Webmail

Silverback--

I suppose it's theoretically possible that if you downloaded email from an ISP account via say Outlook Express that it would be accessible from anyone at that computer, but that's not a scenario in a public library or the usual internet cafe because the cafe would subscribe to the ISP email though OE--unless there is some kind of communal sharing at the cafe say. This might be more of an issue at the ubiquitous PC's and Macs that you see surrounding a lot of college campuses and bookstores like

Harvard University Arts and Sciences Computer Services FAS Account Archive Download Utility.

SMBP

Thanks

Normally, everything downloaded from the web goes in the browser cache. Access to the cache, however is regulated by IE, and IE may ignore the information or discard it if the page was set to "no-cache" or if, by its nature, the material should be retrieved afresh. There is a tighter layer of security over material retrieved during an SSL session (https / lock icon), so that it should not be possible for a casual user to pull that out of the cache once the session has been killed. To compensate for possible poor site design, the user should close all browser windows before leaving the computer. If that is not possible, clearing as much history as possible should help avoid a "Back button" compromise. As an extra precaution, clearing the cache should substantially reduce the possibility of back door retrieval.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I stand corrected if I'm wrong. His web based email should stay on the servers occupying space there granted Yahoo 4MB per box, Hotmail 2MB, ect. (for example of 2 popular web based email services). If he logs out of the respective email clients they should NOT HAVE access to his email, because there would be no copies of the email on the hard drive at the public place. His surfing though, would be another matter unless he cleared the history and the cache. This happens frequently at campus libraries where someone know the person before them and takes a look. Ordinarily where he went would not be linked with him, unless he had signed in and not logged out to one of these locations say NY Times, Extreme Tech--and often then he'd be ID'd by a sign in name.

Whether the PC got switched off or on wouldn't impact what was stored in the history and the cache--and if privacy on where he surfed were an issue, I'd clean them after each browse session at the internet cafe or library. I would clear the cache for any working off line if it's sensitive--Outlook 2003 will be shipped with an extended cache called Cache Exchange Mode but it requires Exchange Server 2003 to facilitate this better and you will be able to manages all your accounts in a single view. This won't be an issue in a public library or internet cafe but may be in a work place or campus setting that has an Exchange 2003 setup.

You will be able to group messages by time, date, sender, size, conversation, importance, and other criteria in Outlook 2003.

Remove Messages from Server

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP
    Thanks for all your help. I'm know my colleague will appreciate it all.
    Silverback

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply, Jefferson.
    Dumb and dumber I know, but how does one clear the cache, please? I tried help in IE and W2K help, but they were not much help!
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The cache is also known as the Temporary Internet Files folder. If you select Tools | Internet Options... in Internet Explorer, you'll see a section on Temporary Internet Files in the General tab. See screenshot (for Internet Explorer 6).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Thanks - your reply shows that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, especially with me!
    I had assumed that 'the cache' referred to a memory cache, not the Temp Internet Files!
    Now I know what to do.

Thanks everyone for your informative help.
    Silverback