Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Boot Up (XPP SP-1)

On an XPP machine with Service Pack 1 installed there is only 1 account. Until yesterday when it booted up it always went directly to the Desktop. After I installed a program which as part of its installation installed
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Boot Up (XPP SP-1)

This is a tricky one and I figured out the answer by sheer accident. Go to Start>Run and type in "control userpasswords2" In the dialog box that appears, uncheck the box that says "users must enter a name and password to use this computer". Close out of the box and reboot, and you should be back to square 1.

PS, although I have heard that control userpasswords2 only works on XP Pro, here it is on my XP Home machine! The advanced user management features are not available, but the checkbox on the first page is, which is what controls the having to log in problem.

Also I learned this as well by installing some (alpha) software that installed .Net Framework as part of the install, which in part created a limited user ASP.Net account on my computer, which is why it was necessary to log in. Apparently it was supposed to delete that (temporary) account, but didn't. Ah the joys of learning!!!
    kip

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Kip for this, and for explaining the limited asp.net account I have. I knew it was normal but not why I had it. I had to download the .net framework (in stable beta if those words can be used) to run an RSS newsreader, and that account got set up. It must account for the screen I get now even if I leave the computer for 2 minutes. I'm wondering if the screen hlewton was seeing on boot that he has to click on is the same one I get on boot and on leaving the computer for a few minutes.

I thought mine might have had to do with a Tweak UI choice I made once. Does the screen list how many programs are running under your account name and is it blue? I can't really screenshot a portion of it because I have to get rid of it to use anything to SS.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Kip,

I did what you said and now I am back to normal, I think. Do you have any idea why the "Desktop" would not be the focus of the mouse now that it is booted up? I have to actually click on some icon before I can double click it to make it open whatever it is a shortcut for. It just seems that the "Desktop" is not the focus until I actually click somewhere on it. It didn't used to be that way.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Afraid I don't remember a blue screen or a list of programs running, what hlewton and I experienced was just a visit to the welcome screen that we weren't accustomed to. Wish I knew more about .Net Framework and what it does or doesn't do, Actually the reason the software had to install it was because I was very wary of installing it without knowing what it was, or what it might mess up (Trustworthy Computing = I trust MS to muck things up if I'm not really careful!!!)

kip

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't remember the lack of focus, either. I was told that it was safe to delete the "temporary" limited user ASP.Net account, which I did, to no adverse effect. You might want to (set a restore point first) delete the account if you haven't already and see if it helps. Like I said I stumbled onto the fix, sorry that I can't be of more help.

kip

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Kip,

Thanks you were already a big help.

Actually, after I made the second post I realized that the lack of focus issue did not come about at the same time. I have been having that problem for about 2 weeks. Can't pinpoint an exact time frame or cause. It just happened immediately after you fixed my problem and I posted the second question without explaining that it didn't just occur.

Thanks again.
    H Lewton