2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Get External Data (2000 9.0.2720)

From Access I am trying to import external data from an excel spreadsheet. When I get to the end of the Import Spreadsheet Wizard I get the message that it "An error occurred trying to import file <filename>. The file was not imported."

I don't know what to look for to fix the problem. Suggestions, please to troubleshoot my error message.

Thanks!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Get External Data (2000 9.0.2720)

You'll have to get more specific. What version of Excel are you trying to import from? And I'm not familiar with an Import Spreadsheet Wizard. Are you talking about the Import dialog?
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Some things to try:

1. If the first row of the Excel data contains field names, make sure that they are valid field names in Access.
    2. If some fields (columns) of the Excel data contain mixed data (text and numbers, for instance), insert a dummy first data row and fill it with data of the correct type (a letter in a column that should be imported as text, a digit in a column that should be imported as numeric)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

Am using Excel 2000 (9.0.2720). And, I guess you can call it an import dialog however the title at the top of the window does say Import Spreadsheet Wizard. Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, I see. You're actually talking about the wizard that pops up *after* you select the file to import. If you got an error, then either the wizard has a problem itself or there is either something wrong with the selections you made in it or something wrong with the Excel spreadsheet. I've never seen an error like that unless I tried to import an empty range or did something else that was impossible for the wizard to process. Wizards can go bad in Office 2000, but you should also make sure you have the latest service release for Office 2000 installed on your machine to cure any other problems that might be getting in the way.
    Charlotte