New Lounger
    Thanks

Importing a MS Word Template to Powerpoint (2000)

How do you import a word template and document that are both in a table format with lines into powerpoint so that the boxes come with the import. Every time I try it it just copies the text

Thanks

Re: Importing a MS Word Template to Powerpoint (2000)

Can you tell us how you are doing the import?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

That's why I'm asking. I don't know how to import them. The powerpoint help says to click on open and select the file you want to put in the powerpoint. I tried that but the borders would not move over. I tried Cntl c and then Cntl v and still the borders are not brought over. The file is both in template and document form. I just want a document with tables in it to be copied over to a presintation so I can display to the class.

Thanks

You should be able to copy and paste a word table into powerpoint, just by doing what you describe.
    There is no real "import" function, because word and ppt are constructed quite differently. There was a thread a week or so ago on bringing visual elements from a Word Template into ppt. I think the final resolution was simply to copy and paste each item in turn.
    Now if it is the text of your word document that you want, you can go to the File menu in PPT and choose to Open a word document. However, the word document has to have been formatted correctly, using word heading styles - and PPT will only import info, down to Heading style 5. Assuming, quite rightly, that the speaker will be providing the extra detail instead of asking the viewer to read realms of information off of the screen.

Is this what you were looking for?
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

Pretty much. Tha actual application is there is a word templete that is a form with tabled fields that requests information on training a employee wants to take in the furture called and Individual Development Plan. This form has 3 columns with the fields for name and other info above. Each part of the template and .doc file has a lined border around it such as a printed version of an application has. The instructor wanted the doc or template to be on a slide in the powerpoint presentation so she can show it to the class without having to run duplicates that have to handed out. I thought there should be a way to inport or copy the form into powerpoint formatted the same as the form without having to recreate it in powerpoint, but only the text is copied when copied over by the before mentioned ways. Maybe that explains a little more of what I'm wanting to do. Thanks

Thanks

Why not just link to the document - so that Word pops up? Just have to make sure the presentation and document are in the same folder. Then transport the folder with document and presentation from computer to computer.

Cheers
    WebGenii Home Page

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try copying the table in Word, moving back to PPT and using Edit/Paste Special. Choose the option for Microsoft Word Document Object. You can choose to paste (to be able to update the table from within PPT only) or paste link, which will allow you to update the table in Word and have the changes reflected in the PPT file.

You can also use Insert/Object/From File to do essentially the same thing. You have the same choice there to link or not.

If you just CTRL+V the table into PPT, you might get a group of textboxes -- you'd have to ungroup a few times to get the individual boxes, but because they're all aligned, you essentially get what looks like a table. It just might not look like a Word table!

As an aside, I don't recall that being the behavior of PPT/Word 2000, but that's what's happening here now. It could be because I also have PPT 2002 and 2003 beta on this machine, though, and their OLE/paste actions work differently than they did in 2000. Seems strange that, even though I tested in 2000 here it would change from how 2000 really works, but you never know. Then again, I could easily just be misremembering how 2000 worked in that respect.