2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Export (Outlook 2000)

One of our staff is planning a business trip to China. He can't always connect up with our Outlook program from there, so he asked me if there was a way he could copy an entire folder (not a file) from his Outlook program to his notebook computer that he will be taking along. He wants to be able to have access to the info in that folder. I'm thinking something in the form of a .pst file. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Export (Outlook 2000)

I have Outlook 2002, I don't know if it's exactly the same in 2000:
    Choose File | Import and Export...
    In the list 'Choose an action to perform', select 'Export to a file', then click Next.
    In the list 'Create a file of type', select 'Personal Folder File (.pst)', then click Next.
    Select the folder to export from, then click Next.
    If desired, modify the path and or file name, or click Browse...; then click Finish.
    Transfer the .pst file to the notebook.
    Start Outlook on the notebook.
    Choose File | Open and locate the .pst. (Don't know the exact steps here)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. That should work great.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds like a great idea. I'll pass it on to him. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

An alternative for Laptop Users is to create an Offline Folder (*.OST) and select and sync both Server and PST Folders to it.

In OL 2000 on Exchange Server, create it via Tools | Services | Exchange Server | Properties | Advanced | Offline Folder Settings, (I already have one so I don't recall the rest of the creation steps, but it's fairly intuitive), making sure that the Offline folder file is on the laptop hard drive.

Then select Tools | Synchronize | Offilne Folder Settings, and check all the folders to be synchronized, and go through ALL the other settings in this dialog and set them as desired. Exit out, then hit F9, to synchronize all Folders. ( I think that's it, I set all this up long ago.) Once set up, the OST will synchronize in the background and upon shutdown of Outlook. Be warned that if you synchronize a lot of folders, it can slow down closing Outlook, and the OST file gets awful big.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS