New Lounger
    Thanks

Personal distribution lists (2000-SR1)

Hi, all. Didn't this site used to have a search function? I feel bad about posting a question that may have been answered before (but not bad enough to search for it "by hand").

Anyway, I use personal distribution lists a lot at work, and what I want is, that the name of the list shows up in the "To" line, not the whole list of names. That is, as things stand now it leaves my mailbox saying "News Group: X" but it arrives in the recipients' boxes with all the names showing. Is there any way to force it to stop doing this, or to work around it? It does the same thing with nicknames, too, so that didn't help.

Thanks!
    Suzie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Personal distribution lists (2000-SR1)

As far as I know, a distribution list is always resolved into its members; if it wasn't, what should a recipient see if (s)he right-clicked the list name and selected Properties?

About searching: sadly, this has been disabled for quote a while now, see <!post=Temporary suspension of Search facility, 250092>Temporary suspension of Search facility<!/post>.

Thanks

Standard workaround:

To: Your address
    BCC: Personal distribution list

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, both, for your suggestions/comments. The thing is, I want people to see which list is receiving the email, which they can't tell by the names. Some people are on several lists. I can't put the name of the list in the email itself due to micromanagement from above.

Ah, well. I tried!

Best, Suzie

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Further to Jefferson's suggestion of
    To: your address
    Bcc: distribution list
    What you can do is create a contact whose name is "members of XYZ distribution list" which has *your* e-mail address as its e-mail address. Then you address the mail:
    To: members of XYZ distribution list
    Bcc: XYZ distribution list
    If someone looks at the properties of the "To:" address then all they will see is your e-mail address.
    Admittedly this is a bit of a drag as you need one of these "contacts" for each distribution list, but if there is some consistent way of naming them then you can probably avoid inducing some form of psychosis!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ah-ha, I see. Thanks, Ian, I'll try this and let y'all know how it goes.

Best,
    Suzie

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi. I thought I'd report on how to do this, in case someone else wants to know at some point. It ain't pretty, but it works...mostly.

It took some experimenting, but in the end what I did was make a fake address consisting of the recipient "News Group: A," whose email address was ALSO "News Group:A." Thus, when Outlook goes to replace the title with the names, it finds only the name of the list again, so it sticks that in. Then I bcc to the real group list.

This results in a "Failed to Deliver" notice for every one of these I send out (since it can't deliver to "News Group: A"), but for my purposes, it's worth it.

Now, if I could only get rid of that ugly (E-mail) designation after every group name...