3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Organization Chart (2000 SR-1)

When users click on Insert > Object and select MS Organization Chart 2.0, they get the following error:
    <hr>Unable to load MS Organization Chart.
    Press F1 for Help.<hr>
    When they press OK, they get another message:
    <hr>Microsoft PowerPoint can't start the application required to open this object.
    An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Would you like to repair this feature now?<hr>
    Any ideas?
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Organization Chart (2000 SR-1)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My first response is no, simply because we are running Windows XP Pro SP1. I will do some checking to see if there is a similar KB article that would be applicable, since we do have locked-down desktops, and the same scenario could apply.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I decided to try it. I logged on to the PC as local administrator, started PowerPoint, then added the MS Organization Chart 2.0 object - no problem. I exited PowerPoint, then went into Windows Explorer, into C:Windows, selected the two files MSOPrefs.232 and MSOClip.232, gave Users full control, then signed off. I signed back on as myself, started PowerPoint, attempted to add the MS Organization Chart 2.0 object, and got the same old error. Looked in C:Windows, MSOPrefs.232 was still there, but MSOClip.232 was no longer there! So, I guess I'm back to square one...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Several posts in the MS newsgroups suggest something like this:
    <hr>The solution, in W2k, is to login as an admin, and change the rights on the 2 files, c:winntmsoprefs.232 and msoclip.232 to give the users write access, and then goto the advanced permissions, and remove the delete option. I tested it on our W2k desktop, and it works fine. You have to take off the delete permission.<hr>
    And I found this suggestion:
    <hr>Go to Start, Run and type
    "C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedOrgchart.exe" /regserver
    (Include quotes and make sure the path matches your setup. To locate the correct path, go to Start > Search and search for Orgchart.exe on your system.)<hr>
    I can't test these myself, so I can't guarantee anything, but either might be worth a try.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>The solution, in W2k, is to login as an admin, and change the rights on the 2 files, c:winntmsoprefs.232 and msoclip.232 to give the users write access, and then goto the advanced permissions, and remove the delete option. I tested it on our W2k desktop, and it works fine. You have to take off the delete permission.<hr>
    That did the trick (with a minor modification for Windows XP). You allow the Write permission, but do NOT allow the Modify permission (which gives users Delete access).

Thanks for the assistance!