3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Shortcut w/a Mind of Its Own

There is a 98 OS here in the office running Office 2K software. Several months ago I created a Word document using the Avery Labels Wizard and saved it to the Desktop. Just this week the user at this station has noticed the "Mailing Labels.doc" is switching to the actual Word application icon. It happens at odds times and then corrects itself. This morning when in user logged in the Word icon was on her Desktop. She opened it and created a new document, saved it and closed. When she returned to her Desktop the Word icon had become the Mailing Labels.doc. But if I try to open it this is the message: This file could not be found. Try one or more of the following: *Check the spelling of the name of the document. *Try a different file name. (C:windows...Mailing Labels.doc).
    If I try deleting the file this is the message: Cannot delete file: File system error (1026). When I check the properties by right clicking it says it is a Word doc in C:windowsprofiles...Desktop. Created: Unknown; Modified: Unknown; Accessed: Unknown.
    Any ideas as to what is going on here and how to fix it? I wasn't even sure where to post this. Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop Shortcut w/a Mind of Its Own

It sounds like the new user may have inadvertently overwritten the Mailing Labels.doc.

It also sounds as if you have a currupted Icon Cache. Look for a file in the WindowsSystem directory called ShellIconCache and delete it. It will recreate itself. The reason it is there is to save time in the retrieval of icon images. It is not at all unknown for it to become corrupted over time.
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I deleted the ShellIconCache file. I then used the Word icon on the Desktop to create a document and save it. I did that three different times, using the icon on the Desktop each time. It has not reverted back to the Mailing Labels.doc. After this, I check for the ShellIconCache file. It has not recreated itself. Does something have to happen first? Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If I understand you correctly, there was only ever one copy of Mailing Labels.doc, and that was on the Desktop. What it appears is that a colleague has overwritten Mailing Labels.doc. If that is the case, there is no way whatsoever to bring it back.

What deleting the ShellIconCache did was take care of a completely separate problem - which was that it appeared that you had a shortcut to the Word Application (rather than a particular document) saved on the Desktop. This may have confused the colleague. The ShellIconCache tends to recreate itself after a reboot.
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is no big deal to have lost the Mailing Labels.doc. We can just create it again. I did understand that you had addressed two separate issues. I just wanted to making sure that the ShellIconCache would recreate itself since I deleted it. Thanks!