Thread: Standby Problem

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Standby Problem

Howdy all. I seem to be having a problem with the standby function. I have the power options set like this:
    Monitor - 30 minutes;
    HDD - 45 minutes (I've just reset this to "never");
    Standby 45 minutes - (have also tried 1 hour).
    After 30 minutes, the monitor shuts down, as instructed. When I come back to the 'puter, whether it's the next morning or just a couple of hours later and wake it up, W2K has a message box showing that says "preparing to standby". Evidently, it never makes it into standby, and I have to do a restart. Any ideas or suggestions? TIA,
    Mike.
    ps: This W2K installation was completed 4 days ago, from a clean install.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Standby Problem

You have just produced one of the real reasons I do NOT use standby or hibernation. Most machines that go into standby my take up to 5 minutes to reload ALL of the data that was stored. Most cases people do not wait long enough for the system to wake up. Also some older devices will not wake up, because they are not compatible with these new features of the new OS's. Some NICs, printers and scanners are famous for this.

What I do, Is turn OFF standby and all hibernation. I leave my machines running 7/24, and sometimes I will turn OFF the monitor.
    Of all of the test results I have seen, there is NO cost saving by using either of the above. If you are concerned, once through for the day, shut it all down and power up the next day. Do not on and off all day long.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howdy Dave. Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that. This is a custom 'puter that's only 1 & 1/2 years old, and does support the standby feature. It actually worked correctly the first couple of times that I used it, but not now. I don't use the hibernate feature, either. I leave mine running too - except when we have one of our (in)famous lightning/thunderstorms - which is almost every day - I live in central Florida. My county has the unfortunate distinction of being the lightning capital of the U.S., and possibly in the top two of the planet. Anyway, I've reset it to simply turn off the monitor after 30 minutes. Thanks again,
    Mike.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Mike,
    What service pack level do you have installed? If you don't have SP4 you may want to try it.

Joe
    Joe