3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

no start or icons

Last night I installed a game for my grandson. Marine sniper. It also installed direct x 8. The machine runs win 98 2nd ed. After a reboot I have nothing on the screen exept the wallpaper and a mouse curser. No icons or start menu. Right clicking does nothing. Cntr alt del shows nothing running at all. Shutdown from the close program box proceeds normal. Booting to safe mode has the same result. A step by step boot doesn't show me anything unusual. Any ideas?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: no start or icons

Have you tried {scanreg /restore} from Command Promt Only? notice the space between scanreg and /, then hit enter and it will give you some dates to choose from to restore to an eailer date. Choose one that was before the problem. Remember that if you choose a date before a program that you installed you will have to reinstall that program. For instance the game you installed.

Start Windows in MS-DOS mode (press the Ctrl key as soon as your PC starts. This will get you the Bootup menu. Once the menu is up, choose Command prompt only)
    Type Scanreg /restore at the prompt
    You will get a screen where you can select which registry backup to use
    Choose your backup and press Restore
    When ready you'll be prompted to Restart your computer

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: no start or icons

Hi Cowboy,
    Oh Oh, I didn't know that worked with windows 98. I ended up formating and reinstalling everything. I did have a registry back up program and that didn't work either. In fact it seemed to make it worse. So I cleaned house. Not a real bad thing really. I will remember your tip for next time though.