5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving modules vs moving sheet tabs (Excel 2000)

We have a template for users in the field. It interfaces with Oracle. When the users try to move the sheets into a new workbook, the template fails, I am told, because the macro modules do not move with the sheet. Is this generally true, or is it something with that template? How could they move both the module and the code so that the template will work? In many instances, the workbook is large and it seems simpler to move the 3-sheet template to the workbook rather than the large workbook to the template.

Thanks

Re: Moving modules vs moving sheet tabs (Excel 2000)

If you move (or copy) a sheet sheet in a workbook, the ONLY code that comes along is the macro code that is IN the sheet object. NONE of the modules are transferred.

You could use SAVE AS and then delete any unwanted sheets and the macros would then be in the new file.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen the Import File and Export file menu items, and have exported modules before. Could they export the module into the large workbook and then move the sheet? Would that be viable?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving modules vs moving sheet tabs (Excel 200

It's feasible to move the modules to follow the sheets using export and import - albeit a bit labour-intensive. I'm not at all sure that it can be automated.
    Gre

Thanks

Check out the code on Chip Pearson's site
    It has code on exporting and copying modules.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So if I exported the code module for the Oracle-related stuff to a text file on the desktop, then moved the tabs (there are 3 tabs in the standard template) into the larger workbook, I could import the text file macro to the larger workbook and (hopefully) the template would then work. I shall try that. The Pearson site may be a little over my head at present (I will give it a try) but I need to be careful that I understand what's goin on and don't do a Sorcerer's Apprentice Event. Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It is not strictly necessary to go the extra step of saving your Module as a TXT file. You could simply work with the default BAS extension.

I could be wrong, but I would think that the TXT format has the advantage of defaulting to opening inside a Text Editor - if you want to work with the code outside the VB Editor.
    Gre