Star Lounger
    Thanks

References (Access XP SP2 / Access 97)

Thanks to Woodys articles with References I've been asked to the following(!)

Make a Database on my machine (Access XP SP2) that produces a number of reports in Excel (Using automation)

Distribute this Database in an Access 97 format so that a number of users on Office 97 can use it.

The database works perfectly.
    However at the moment I need to use an intermediate Access 97 machine to 'downgrade' a number of references manually namely:
    Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Libary to Microsoft DAO 3.5 Object Library (IT haven't distributed to all users yet)
    Microsoft Excel 10 to Excel 8.0

Is there a function I can write to check for a missing reference and automatically replace it?
    Or (Preferable) a function that I can write so that when I convert the XP version to the 97 version it automatically changes the references?

This database is built weekly. I need to do it on my machine and it needs to work on their Office 97 machines. It would be a real pain to have to keep remembering to make changes to references (Especially as I'd like to package it as an mde to the 97 users)

Thanks

bem

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: References (Access XP SP2 / Access 97)

The problem is that very simple VBA functions such as Left or Date will fail if there is a missing reference, so trying to fix it in code is very tricky. See the thread starting at <post#=275081>post 275081</post#> - technical stuff!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe the file written by Dev Avish wzref.mda can help you. I ahve it on my computer but do not remmeber where it came from. It is described in the readme as follows:

The References Wizard can be used to

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The add-in can be found on Dev Ashish's Access Web. The download page is here, look for References Wizard.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The add-in works reasonably well on Access 97 but if your application depends on the reference that is broken, removing it won't help you.
    Charlotte