3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making a grid (97 SR-2)

I am trying to make a scaled template of my living room and living room furniture so I can see how things will fit before moving everything around. I'd like to create a grid and use the text box tool to make the furniture so I can move it all around on the grid. My question is, how do I make this grid using PPT? I'd like each square to equal one inch. Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Making a grid (97 SR-2)

Does this work for you?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That looks good. How do you create it?

Thanks

I'm using ppt 2000, but the principle is the same in 97.

Open a blank presentation, choosing a blank slide.
    Size the presentation to 8.5 x 11 paper (I assumed you might want to print it out).
    Select View, Ruler
    Draw a line the length or width of the page, using the shift key to keep it straight.
    Format the line as desired. I used a dotted look.
    The ruler measures from a center point on the slide. So I dragged the line to the midpoint of the slide. Then I used Ctrl + dragging to duplicate the line, dragging it to one inch intervals as measured on the ruler. Then I did the same thing for the lines going in the opposite direction.

One thing you could do is take these lines (a quick way to select them all is Ctrl + A), and place them on the master view of the slide, instead of the slide itself (try View, Master, Slide Master). The advantages of having the lines on the master is that the lines will now be on every new slide in the presentation, so you won't have to recreate them repeatedly. Also, you would be unable to accidentally moved the lines while you are dragging other objects around on the slide.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much for your help!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Catherine,

another way to accomplish this:
    - place the first line (say in the vertical direction) at the '-4"' mark on the horizontal ruler (ie, at the 4 inch mark to the left of the 0) and format the line however you want
    - use CTRL+d to duplicate the line - it comes out a little to the right of your first line in the same format
    - drag the 2nd line to the '-3"' mark
    - now each time you hit CTRL+d, a new duplicate will be created 1 inch to the right of the previous one. do this enough times to get lines to the '+4"' mark on the ruler

Do the same for the other direction, making sure to put the first line at one of the extremes.

Fred