Confused about Me. (XP)

Can Someone please explain why some VBA needs 'Me' before it and some don't. I've got the Microsoft Step-by-Step book for Access VBA, and it's got an example in it that I thought would need the 'Me' statement before it, but it doesn't and yet it works. Here's the code:

Private Sub FirstName_AfterUpdate() 'Copy the Firstname value to the Dear control
    If IsNull(Dear) Then
    Dear = FirstName
    End If
    End Sub

Why doesn't Dear need to be written as Me.Dear when the following statement DOES require 'Me'

Private Sub ContactTypeID_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
    On Error GoTo Err_ContactTypeID_DblClick
    Dim lngContactTypeID As Long

If IsNull(Me![ContactTypeID]) Then
    Me![ContactTypeID].Text = ""
    lngContactTypeID = Me![ContactTypeID]
    Me![ContactTypeID] = Null
    End If

In both instances, all the controls are on the same part of the Form, so I can't understand why the first one Does NOT require Me and the second one does????

Also, in the second example, the statement is written as . . .

Again, how come the first statement didn't need to be written as . . .

Me.[Dear].Text =FirstName

This is confusing me, and I'd really appreciate any help or explanation someone may have
    Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Confused about Me. (XP)

This can be rather confusing, you can use several ways of denoting controls almost interchangeably.
    <UL><LI>If you refer to something without qualifying what it belongs to, VBA will try to resolve it. On a form or report, it will assume that it belongs to the form or report.
    <LI>In a class module, Me refers to the instance of the class that is running the code.
    <LI>A form or report acts as a class; the module behind the form or report is a class module, so Me refers to the form or report running the code.
    <LI>The dot <big>.</big> is used to designate a property, while the bang <big>!</big> designates a member of a collection.
    <LI>The default property of a form or report is its Controls collection. You don't need to name the default property explicitly.[/list]Are you still there? This means that the following expressions are all valid ways to refer to a text box named txtLastName:

In your first example, you could have used Me.Dear or Me!Dear instead of just Dear, and the second example should work as well with Me.ContactTypeID or even ContactTypeID instead of Me!ContactTypeID.