Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Delivery in Outlook/Outlook Express? (Office97/Win

How do I set up Delivery in Outlook/Outlook Express?

I'm using Win98 and Outlook97. I've configured the Internet email service (mail.vif.com etc.) and am prompted to venture into Control Panel and the Mail icon.

In Control Panel I see a "Mail and Fax" icon, which leads me to a Dialogue with three tabs, the second of which is "Delivery".

The Delivery tab offers me a drop-down list that says, simply "(None"), with no apparent mechanism for adding a new item.

For what it's worth, I have retained my OLD mailboxes etc at C:GreavesAdminOutLook, where I find a 22MB file "personal.pst" and Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx and "mailbox.pab", amongst others. I am assuming that, ideally, I should make the new installation of Outlook point to this folder.

Right now I'm clueless, and would appreciate help in getting Outlook operational again. I use it as a device for emitting emails from a Word97/VBA application, not for any real email jobs.

Thanks

Re: Delivery in Outlook/Outlook Express? (Office97/Win

Delivery is a function of your current "main" PST. Apparently Outlook is not aware that it has a data file into which to deliver mail. Try opening Outlook. It should demand that you tell it where you put its PST file, or, failing to find that one, create a new blank one. The delivery point then, most likely, will be the the first PST Outlook becomes aware of ('though with multiple PSTs the dialog should allow you to change that).

I don't know what to tell you about the Outlook Express files.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Delivery in Outlook/Outlook Express? (Office97

Thanks for the (long, long ago) reply to my enquiry. I suspect that I'll need to reinstall Win98/MSOffice97 (as in Format C to get it working. Outlook refuses to let me set up the appropriate files, yet I know I've had it working in the past (same hardware/software). I suspect that the trick is to act naive and install IE and Outlook, let them create the dial-up-networking and everything, and THEN start playing around. Most recently I've been trying to bypass installation of IE, and have been creating DUN entries by myself.

Maybe it's time to move on to something more modern, such as Win99, if it exists (grin!)

Thanks

Windows 2000 was great; XP Pro works well after you disable some of the silliness.

As for mail clients, well, unless you're developing Outlook solutions, why not use something completely different?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> As for mail clients, well, unless you're developing Outlook solutions, why not use something completely different?

Finally got it working, after reinstalling Win98 (overdue anyway) & office 97. I ran through the installation of IE, Outlook & outlookExpress, got them to agree to send mail, went into my Word97 app, but couldn't send through profile "Christopher Greaves".

The MSKB article 140735 suggested I try (in Word) File, Send, which came up with a profile 'Microsoft Outlook". I used that and sent mail from a document.

Darted back into my template, changed my profile name from "Christopher Greaves" to '"Microsoft Outlook" and it now all works again.

I **will** be moving to 2003 Real Soon Now; clients demand it.

And the email application? A scrappy little thing i wrote 18 months ago to play with correspondence courses. The cobbler's children go barefoot!