New Lounger
    Thanks

calculator recognization

I re-named my calc.exe and installed a new calc.exe in C: windows. I can double click the new C: windowscalc.exe icon , it will open and run. But when I go to Start-Programs-Accessories-Calculator, the calculator does not open. The path to the target is correct, but the Start-Programs-Accessories path does not recognize the new calc.exe. What do I need to do to get the Start-Programs-Accessories path to recognize the new calc.exe?
    Thank you for your time!
    WES

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: calculator recognization

<hr>...but the Start-Programs-Accessories path... <hr>
    Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about the "Start In..." box in the menu properties? If so, on my Win98 machine the Start In box is empty. Is yours? (I assume you're checking this stuff by "drilling" your way through the Start Menu and right-clicking on the Calculator entry for its properties)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry about the poor communications on my part.
    I go to the lower left hand corner of my desktop and left click Start, then I go to Programs and left click Programs, then I go to Accessories and left click Accessories, then I left click the Calculator icon. At this point Scandisk opens instead of the Calculator.
    When I right click on the Calculator icon, in C: windows, it shows the path to the target is correct. The Calculator will open if I left click the Calculator icon when I am in C: windows .
    I am wondering what I need to do to get the computer to recognize the Calculator icon when I try opening the Calculator through Accessories.
    I hope this explains my question a little better.
    Thank you.
    WES

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wes:
    You're talking about two different things. One is the calculator & the other is a shortcut. Here's what I'll bet happened: you created a new calc.exe & then tried to start it with the old shortcut (Start/Programs/Accesssories/Calculator). A little dialog box came up with a flashlight waving. It eventually said, something like "Windows is searching for calculator.exe. To find it yourself, click browse. After awhile another box came up & said that it couldn't be found but that the nearest match was... Windows is not too smart this way, so it probably pointed to scandisk. You clicked <enter> to dismiss it & so now it points to scandisk.

To fix it, do this:
    1. Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/Calculator, but don't click calculator.
    2. RIGHT click calculator & choose Properties (at the bottom).
    3. Change the path to C:WINDOWSCALC.EXE & click OK.

The shortcut should now work. FYI, you can open the start menu by right clicking & choosing Open or Explore. You can then drag & drop, delete, move, or change the path (the way you just did) on any of the icons. These icons are all shortcut. By doing this, you can organize your start menu. For example, if you use calc.exe often, you can drag it (or cut & paste) to the first menu level or on top of the start menu button.

New Lounger
    Thanks

"Here's what I'll bet happened: you created a new calc.exe & then tried to start it with the old shortcut "
    BEAUTIFUL!!
    Great reply! That is exactly what happened. I went into Explorer and right clicked and there was SCANDISK. Just like you stated. That fixed my problem. Thank you!
    I am sorry I was not able to describe my problem better in the earlier posts.
    THE FEW THAT KNOW, SHARING WITH THE MANY THAT DON'T!
    What a great place to gain knowledge.
    Thanks again!!
    WES