Lounger
    Thanks

Office Pro 2000/SP3 (Office Pro 200/SP3)

I recently had to install a new harddrive and then reinstalled all my software. I must have done something different in the install because whenever I open Word or Excel, it goes through this process of "Preparing to install" then " wait to configure" and then it will open. I didn't have that problem with the initial install, so I don't know what I did differently this time. The program will go ahead and run and doesn't require the CD, it is just a time-consuming nuisance. Any ideas appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office Pro 2000/SP3 (Office Pro 200/SP3)

That has happened to me - but only when I was trying to get Word 97 and Word 2002 to coexist. Because of some overlap between file paths (I guess) any time I opened Word 97, then later Word 2002, it tried to "recover" in the way you describe. I don't suppose this is relevant, though?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Ken --

Your OS is WinXP Pro. Throwing this in with Phil's 2KB's:

221455: OFF2000: Windows Installer Begins to Install Program When You Click Program Shortcut.

This KB's remedy:

in Windows 2000, follow these steps:
    Right-click Start, and then on the shortcut menu, click Explore.
    On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    On the General tab, select Double-click to open an item (single-click to select), and then click OK.

Also see:

264635: OFF2000: How to Install or Repair Microsoft Office 2000

I'd run Detect and Repair as well. No downside there.

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the replies. I have gone through all the MS KBs on this subject that were listed and ran the detect and repair and still the same result. Each program goes into the install etc. KB 274473-I already had those DWord values. KB 272952 was for an initial install, not my problem. KB 221455-I had those settings already also. Yes, and then I ran detect and repair, restarted and opened Word and same problem. I do appreciate the ideas, but so far that hasn't solved the issue. Thanks for any other ideas.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Like all these glitches there is a quick precise fix somewhere--sorry I don't know it. I'll never forget working with MS on Word for hours when I had trouble making it open --I have the steps they emailed me after it was over somewhere--also to get SP1 and SP2 to install--the CD for Publisher can get in the way--a glitched to be fixed maybe in 2003. After renaming folders and uninstalling/reinstalling about 3 times--finally we dragged com objects to the toolbar and it worked like a charm from then on.You may have done this, but I would uninstall it and reinstall it-- see if that helps--won't take long.

SMBP