Lounger
    Thanks

Windows keeps rebooting (V 5.1, SP 1)

I had to re-install Windows, after my system crashed. I, too, had installed a new program which came with MS.NET framework, and that new logon etc, etc, none of which I wanted -- the software mfg has informed me that the .Net framework is needed to run the program, I guess MS has done a good job selling this to the developers, anyway, I uninstalled the offending program and with it apparently tossed a bunch of needed files and it slowed to a crawl. I was able to save my work and needed date in Safe Mode, then did a re-install by using the provided recovery disk, which used the factory back up on my machine to do a clean install. I spent the day yesterday installing the most pressing programs, then upon shutting down (12:30 AM - you know how that goes) it rebooted. At first I thought I had hit the incorrect button, did a little more work, then shut down again, same story. I checked the Power Options, where it is set on "Home/Office Desk, under Advanced it's set to "Shut down" when I press the button on the computer (I used it to finally shut it down), the UPS is stopped (I usually don't use the UPS program, no need for my situation). I also noticed that the "standby" button of the 3 shut down buttons (Stand-by /Shut down / Restart) is not usable. Any ideas?
    As a side heads-up, when I went on to MS to download all those patches, Norton AV notified my twice that a virus was intercepted!! There was no other internet page open. Interesting.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows keeps rebooting (V 5.1, SP 1)

Foxrose--

Sorry for the time consuming trouble. I have the .net framework and its newer update and no problems. MS does a lot of selling of a lot of things that should be much better to a lot of people, but I don't think they're snowing the developers here. An increasing number of programs are going to run that require the .net framework in the next two years. I'd decide if you want to run and need the program frequently that said it required .net framework--mine is an eletive RSS newsreader, but it is cool so I got the framework. Then I'd uninstall it and reinstall it with 1.1 rather than .net 1.0 SP2:

.net 1.1 Framework
    Service Pack 2 .net Framework 1.0

I don't know whether you have a virus now, but Blaster in many machines has been rebooting. Since you seem to be able to get to Windows right now and stay there, I'd run a viral scan with NAV since I'm not sure if those notifications are attributed to the hotfixes you downloaded or a genuine virus. If you have one it can detect, you'll know and then you can go to Symantec for the removal tool.

If you're computer ever keeps restarting, and you can't stay in Windows, you can stop this behavior so that you can work in Windows on the problem, by going to the command prompt and typing in "shutdown -a" (lose the quotes and space hypen after shutdown).

BTW--9/10 people who use NAV even some ITmgrs. I know at home think they are updating their definitions adequately with Symantec Live Update because of its smoke and mirrors misleading gui and little progress bars and they aren't. The only way to get the latest definitions, and you should is to do it manually once a day. If some people say they check Win Update four times a day, you can sure update your definitions once a day Mon-Friday 2-5PM your time.

See:

<A target="_blank" HREF="http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2002021908382713">Security Response Web site shows more recent virus definitions than LiveUpdate or a virus write-up shows that more recent definitions are available Symantec Document ID:2002021908382713
    Last Modified:07/22/2003</A>

When you get squared away (I hope soon), every PM 2-5 use a few clicks and 25 seconds of your time to get the daily definition--or else you'll be waiting for Live Update passively to do it after 2PM every Wednesday, and then my question is why have NAV or any other at all. Drag this shortcut to your quick start, and you only need click the first link to update your defs.

Symantec Security Response AV Center

Live Update's last definition was Wed August 20--the Security Response's last definition was Friday PM August 22.

Good luck,

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much for all the good info, especially the suggestion of checking the virus updates every day. I got kind of lulled into a lax attitude with the auto/updates. Will dig into the links tomorrow, too tired now. Meanwhile, I have tried the Windows Troubleshooter, without success. It did refer me to a KB article (Q266269) (which I had to hunt for because it's written for Win 2000), and mostly is for the system hanging on shutdown. But it did mention 3rd party drivers, so I uninstalled Norton System Works, just in case the AV kept writing to disk upon shutdown, but that wasn't it. I also did several virus scans today because that was my first reaction after the incidents during the updates last night. There actually were two in the quarantine, the W32Welchia, and the Blaster, I deleted them. -- My system stays on while on line (like right now ), and I can work as long as I want off line as well. It only reboots when I want to shut it down, and I click the "shut down" button. Could it be something in the boot sector? I wouldn't know what to look for. I'm not going to install much more of my stuff until Monday, maybe some techie at my computer manufacturer can help... (I'm still in warranty) -- or I'll have to reformat and install from scratch... sigh --- Again, thanks a lot.

Lounger
    Thanks

PS -- sorry I tend to be so wordy...
    I just found another KB article, #311806 which has me all excited (no time to sleep now!) addressing just this problem. It referred me to Roxio's Easy CD Creator, which I have installed, apparently it needs a patch for "compatibility issues" with Win XP, it's downloading as I type this. Will posts the results when I'm done installing it. -- Have also read more about .NET Framework. It sounds like an exciting program. I was just miffed that the program it came with (Print Shop V20) didn't inform me ahead of time, nor in the ReadMe, that it would install it as part of the program. It's the updated version, too.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The issue you're describing has been on the lounge many times--it's paradoxical booting when you try to shut down. There are 2-3 KB's--I've got shortcuts to it but I don't have it memorized. I'll find it later--or someone may pop up with it. I'm glad though that you did in fact boot blaster and the so-called "helpful" worm which is really not helpful and I posted links to that elsewhere. Be sure a search for both those worms MSblaster.exe and welchia show up nothing, and Im sure you've done a recent scan after booting them.

You don't have to format and start over for this problem at all. Unfortunately a lot of tech support is quick to recommend this--not the ones who care but the ones who don't or get mentally lazy. It's a lot easier to say that and quickly blow off the problem for some individuals.

Roxio is a nice program; I have both Roxio 6.0 and Nero 5.5 and I really believe Nero is better and more versatile (I'll probably upgrade soon just for fun) and more stable at the end of the day--but that's only my opinion and a lot of people are very satisfied with Roxio. I think statistically it crashes more with XP--maybe that update is the answer. Disable your CD burner native to Windows XP if you're using Roxio--this is the uniform recommendation of all the web sites on burning--and people with long experience with burners.

I'll try to lasso some of the cause of continual loops of rebooting on shut down--maybe you will have solved it by then by patching Roxio.

I don't think your problem was a driver, but I understand the KB putting it in the differential.

Also every time I hear freeze or slow I always think to run Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware, both free and many links to them on the lounge or just google. Run them a couple times a week--quick and easy and always click on the globe to update Adaware's base, and update Spybot.

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

just got done with the patch -- didn't do it. I did clear the Automatic Restart check box under Startup and Recovery/System failure, which let me read the blue screen of death, ha! It's not the same error message as listed in the KB article, so I don't know what it refers to. Is there a listing of error messages somewhere (it must be verrrry long...), but in case someone can shed light on it, here it is: Stop: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xF887D941, 0xF896C9C0, 0xF896C6C0). Kbdclass.sys - Address F887D941 base at F887D000, Datestamp 3d6ddad3. The message further told me to disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing, or update the BIOS, but I'm not going to tinker with that yet -- too late tonight.
    Yes, I had considered switching to Nero, downloaded the sample and I like it very much. Still have a grudge against Roxio because they didn't support the previous versions (other company) method of drag and drop (new version doesn't read the old CDs), had to save everything to the hard disk on the OLD computer, then burn to a new CD. -- but enough whining for one night. Thanks for the help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Rose--

There's a thread in Software Finds bringing out the features of Nero 6.0 and Roxio 6.0 but Roxio's not the issue with what's going on now it seems. Are you by any chance using Logitech mouseware--just a stab--outdated software or mouseware can cause that error (but it's not the only item), so check on your mouse driver and software at your manufacture's site that it's current. If you are you might also want to search the Logitech KB.

I'd like to know when you turn off your computer, turn it on exactly what happens--i.e. how far are you able to get? Are you able to get to Windows--and if so can you stay in it? Did you upgrade from another OS or is this a Clean XP install? That error message--the first series of numbers-- as I think you've seen is usually a hardware issue of some kind and has many branches. Hardware and software conflicts can cause that error. I linked a few to give you a feel. You can google to see what I meanusing just the first series of numbers.

I was thinking you could do a system restore from Windows or if you are having trouble booting to it you can boot into safe mode with a dos prompt with the F8 key and run a system restore command from the dos prompt. I've done several long posts on 3 life jackets to boot to Windows--there are many other options, but if I know what you are able to do now, I can provide some info. Also have you flashed your bios to Windows XP--upgraded your bios to Windows XP?

STOP 0x000000D1 or 0x0000007E references Kbdclass.sys when you shutdown?
    . Why do I receive Stop Error 0x0000007E in Windows XP when I add a new USB device?
    Solution: Stop Error 0x0000007E reported when trying to partition 80 GB hard drive

330182:"STOP 0x0000007E" Error Message After You Upgrade to Windows XP
    STOP 0x0000007E BSOD after you upgrade to Windows XP?

Here are some issues discussed from two well known XP Sites on Restarts although their under the Heading Shutdown:

Windows XP Boot Problems & Edits Kelly's XP
    Win XP Shutdown Troubleshooter Jim Eschleman MS MVP

I'd like to know what happens--exactly where do you go from a cold start--to the BSOD? Can you get into Safe Mode with F8? And about the Bios Flash to XP?

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Just FYI - I gave up, the system just wasn't running properly so I formatted C: drive and reinstalled Windows - two more times! First just straight forward, but I couldn't get Windows to detect any of my installed peripherals, so I gave up on that as well and installed the factory back up again. This time it went in flawlessly. I'm just finishing the last updates. I have learned a whole lot in the process, and don't consider the time (well some of it) as wasted. Thanks again for the help. Keep making those Backups!!!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Glad things are smooth--a huge list of hardware and software can give you that blue screen. It can really be draining when that stuff goes on--and tiring, and I've sat there for hours saying I wouldn't let the machine and the software beat me. Hope you didn't lose any data. Take a look at those XP Sites though--they're very good ones.

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, SMBP - our messages just crossed. I really appreciate all your thinking on my behalf, maybe it'll help shed some light for someone else. I was able to boot into safe mode with F8 all along, when the system first slogged down, and later, after the "fix", too. I was able to work as long as I liked, no unexpected shut down in between. The Bios version is pretty new because I got the system with Windows XP installed, last October. I'll have to do a little more reading on the BIOS, because it suggested to upgrade to a flash program for easy updates. Might be worth while. I think the system was so messed up that the re-install did not go in properly, I probably should have formatted the drive to begin with. Today, after doing that, everything works just fine. I did get the latest Mouseware from Logitech today, but I had installed an update when I got the system last fall. I'm usually pretty good about updating all the drivers. I was wondering if the Catalog Database got corrupted during that unfortunate uninstall, because I found a very long list of Cat files in the Norton protected recycle bin??? I will keep all your posts with the links and suggestions because they are highly informative, and I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Rose--

If you have an OEM XP--your BIOS should be up to date. Check on the manufacturer's site. Here's what I meant about flashing (i.e. updating) the bios:. It doesn't have anything to do with easy install of hotfixes.

Flash Bios
    CPU/BIOS from Tweak 3D: "Your Tweakin' Freakin' Source

SMBP