Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Numbered List Style Problem (W XP SP 1 Word 2000)

I am really struggling with a Style for numbered lists. The style works with one MAJOR exception. It always continues the numbering from the previous list even though I set it up to start at number 1 each time (see attached copy of the setup window). After selecting my Numbered List Style I always have to go back to Format, Bullets & Numbering, and change it back to Reset Numbering, because the default seems to stay on "continue from previous list." I'm editing a large document containing many numbered lists, and this is driving me nuts!

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numbered List Style Problem (W XP SP 1 Word 2000)

The setting 'Start at 1' only means that you want to begin numbering at 1, and not at, say, 0 or 4.

Outline numbering is usually recommended, but Word 2002 has a handy shortcut: right click the paragraph where you want numbering to restart. It is one of the options in the context menu!

Also see <post#=287063>post 287063</post#> and replies.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I fully understand that the numbering should start at 1. The problem is that it doesn't! It starts at one more than a previous list. Example:

First list:

1. First Item
    2. Secon Item
    3. Etc.

Intervening text.

Next List:

4. First Item
    5. Secon item

When I highlight the next list and select my List Number Style the list starts a 4 rather than 1. I have to go back and click on Format, Numbers ... etc. and change it to "reset numbers" to get it to start at 1. Even though I have the starting number set to 1 in the list Style.

Unfortunately, I'm not using Word 2002. It's 2000.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chuck:
    That's how the numbering works. When you tie the numbering to a style like ListNum, then each time you use the style in a new paragraph, the number increases. That allows you to have a continuous list. If you want to restart the numbering, you either need to right click the start of the "list" & choose Bullets & Numbering..., wait until the dialog box opens & then check "restart numbering", OK. A faster way would be to record a macro that restarts the numbering & assigning it to a shortcut key or toolbar.

Word cannot tell whether the next "list" is suppose to restart or continue. Therefore, there has to be a default & the default is to continue the previous list. In some situations, this is handy. It allows you to have non numbered paragraphs, graphics, & tables within a list. In some cases, like the one you describe, it's inconvenient.

While I don't have 2002, I'm guessing that it works the same way.
    Hope this helps,

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for everyone's help. I still think the Style ought to pick up the setting in the Customized Numbered List dialog box, but it looks like this isn't how it works. I'll have to give the macro a try.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,

Phil repeated, with a better explanation, what I already told you: that the setting "Starts at" does NOT mean that numbering will REstart automatically (for Phil: yes, Word 2002 behaves the same in this respect).

Here is a small macro you could put in a module in Normal.dot or in a global template:

Sub RestartNumbering()
    On Error Resume Next
    Selection.Range.ListFormat.ApplyListTemplate _
    ListTemplate:=Selection.Range.ListFormat.ListTempl ate, _
    ContinuePreviousList:=False
    End Sub

If you assign this macro to a custom toolbar button or to a keyboard shortcut, you can restart numbering with one mouse click or keystroke.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numbered List Style Problem (W XP SP 1 Word 20

Yikes! I'm having this same problem. I'm using Word 2000 for Mac (I know, poor me). Anyhow, I attempted to add this code to a module in Normal.dot and when I ran it, got a Syntax error. I didn't manipulate the code at all.

To test it, I typed out a list, then a sublist, which I didn't want to renumber (re-letter, actually), highlighted the sublist items (d-f) and clicked the macro...and got the error. Any idea what I've done wrong? What I'm attempting to create is a template for mulitple choice questions. So the numbered lists will continue numbering, but the lettered choices (sublist) should restart. Attempting to do this manually has not worked. The option is there when I right-click and choose Bullets and nubmering, but it refuses to work. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. This is very frustrating.

Best regards,
    Mike Mone

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

According to this newsgroup post, the macro should work for Word on the Mac too. Are you sure you copied the macro correctly?

If it doesn't work manually either, something else may be wrong. Try removing the numbering and applying it anew.

Since I don't use a Macintosh, I can't offer more specific help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I chose Tools>Macros>VB Editor then under Normal clicked on Modules, added a new module and pasted the code into it. Closed it, saved it, ran it, but got the error. I just found a solution, but it involved having to strip down my styles back to Normal and rebuilding them one by one. Since one list style was being built off of another, I think that compounded the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, in true Word form, it's at it again. I thought I'd fixed the problem, but today it's back to doing it again. It refuses to renumber the sublists a, b, c...it continues with d, e, f, etc... Ugh.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That's a symptom that the styles weren't linked to the same List Template. When you create your styles, one for each numbering level, & then attach them to a List Template (numbering scheme), you must do the entire scheme WITHOUT closing the dialog box. See Gary Frieder's instructions at <post#=76976>post 76976</post#>.
    Cheers,