New Lounger
    Thanks

Edit html With Word (IE 6.0.2800)

I am using Windows XP operating system and I used to be able to click on the Word icon in Internet
    Explorer and open the web page in Word. Now, I have loaded the most recent patches to Internet Explorer and
    Office XP and the icon no longer exists in IE, yet in Word under the "TOOLS", "OPTIONS", "GENERAL", "WEB
    OPTIONS", I have it checked to "check if Word is the editor for all web pages" as directed by Microsoft instructions. In Internet Explorer, the only options available to view are Excel and notepad.

Is this some time of Microsoft glitch in their patches or am I missing a step somewhere?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Edit html With Word (IE 6.0.2800)

Right click a toolbar in Internet Explorer and select Customize... (if you don't see Customize..., right click somewhere else on a toolbar)
    Is "Edit" in the list of available toolbar buttons? If so, select it and click Add. Then click Close.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Carole--

I think you can do what you want by simply gong to View>Toolbars>Customize. This brings up the web page or pages you want to edit in a Word Window and I believe you can edit from there. Also in Word going to Tools>Options>General Tab>Web Options>File Tab Under Default Editor Check the Box to Use Word as the Default Editor as I think you've already done.

You can of course influence easily whether it opens in a new window or in the same IE Window. I always choose to open a new window. I hope I didn't miss what you want here. Please let me know:

Add or Remove IE Toolbar Buttons
    Customize Your Web Browsing Layout
    Easy Web Page Editing with Office 2000
    308138: OFF2000: Cannot Save a Word or Excel Document to a Web Site That Was Opened from Within Internet Explorer

You didn't say your word version and I'm gathering your used to using Word to edit HTML, but I threw in these links:

310521: HOW TO: Create and Edit an HTML Document with Microsoft Word 2002
    How To Create A Web Doc With Word 2000
    HTML Info Word Users 97 thru XP
    Using Other Programs to edit HTML: Word 2000 and Word 2002
    310604: HOW TO: Reselect Microsoft FrontPage as the HTML Editor After You Upgrade to Internet Explorer in case you want to use FP

Let me know if this doesn't allow you to do what you are trying to do.

SMBP

Of course there are many, many 3rd party editors, and many many loungers who have had experience with some and know the best---I haven't.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

The icon is on the toolbar but the only options available is editing in notepad or excel and in MS Word, I've already told it to edit with Word but it doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the links but I still can't find a way for IE to provide me the option of using word. When I use the TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>PROGRAMS, the only html editor I can select from is EXCEL or notepad. The icon is on the toolbar, but once again, I can only select from Excel or notepad. I don't know what 3rd party vendor is safe to use if I can't resolve the issue through Microsoft. Any recommendations?

Thanks for all the assitance!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

MVP Bill James has a script on his website that may help - look for "Add New Internet Explorer 5+ Editor" on http://billsway.com/vbspage.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Bill James is a great resource and and that will probably work for you, and thanks for that Hans, but what I don't understand is why it works for me Carole and opens up the Web page to be added in Word when I click the Word icon added from View on the toolbar which seems to be the key rather than any Options in Word. You said you used Tools>Internet>Options>HTML Editor Word, and I appreciate that--it's exactly what's provided, but apparently it's not enough and you're quite correct--you shouldn't need to go somewhere else, but you do. You need to also go to View and add the Word Icon to your toolbar. Then you'll be able to edit the web page in Word, at least I can.

Bill James has a very helpful site. I'll put up some 3rd party editors, but those should come from the many people with extensive experience with them--you might try that quesiton in the Word section and you'll get very quick responses. Microsoft's Office site lists a number of 3rd party products like that if you search it, and they have a Word pulldown--you can put 3rd party html editor in if you like:

Microsoft Office Site 3rd Party Downloads for Word

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

You and Hans are the greatest! It worked just like a champ! I messed and messed in Word & IE and there just was no answer. As soon as I downloaded the 3rd party editor from James' site and entered the winword.exe location, it immediately asked if I wanted Word as my editor. I stated yes and went to IE. It wasn't there - back to computing 101 - turn off the silly computer and bring it back up! As soon as entered IE, there was old faithful Bill Gates official Word application. Thanks ever so much - I was truely frustrated!

[img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]