Lounger
    Thanks

computer restarting

Our computer has been giving us a blue screen with a message that starts "An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C00069F8 ..." after which hitting any key usually brings back the desktop but sometimes rebooting is necessary. Sometimes while rebooting it does this and reboots on its own. Both Symantec's personal firewall and anti-virus programs run at all times. I ran a virus scan which resulted in no viruses being found. I have been on now for about 20 minutes--the longest I've been on all day without getting any blue screen with the above message.

This or something similar (I was not here, it happened to my son) happened last Friday evening.

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but we were in the area hit by the blackout just over a week ago. The computer had been on when power went out but the power was turned off so it did not come back on on its own when the power restored.

Anybody have any ideas? Am I even posting at an appropriate forum?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: computer restarting

Hi Robin:
    Some things you can do is go to Start/Run & type
    sfc
    & press <enter>.

This will start the system file checker & you can see if you have any corrupt files. Then you should also do a thorough scandisk & then defrag. Finally, reboot & delete all your *.tmp files.
    Hope this helps,

Banned Member
    Thanks

Is there more to this error or was that all of it? If there was more please post the whole error message. In the mean time take a look at this Fatal Exception 0E Errors

This seems to be even better from Microsoft Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 189655

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Robin,

You might also try booting into DOS and typing scanreg/restore {enter}. You should be given a list of 5 registry backups that exist. It is possible that one of these might take you back to before you had the problem, but as Cowboy and Phil point out, it might be unrelated.

As a side note, if you are brave enough, you can change the number and path of registry backups to something other than 5 (default). I keep mine at 10, and send it to another partition, and then I back up that drive to another drive. I have seen several recommendations that you never need more than 5, but have personally run into situations where 5 was not enough (I was glad I had 10 and not 9!) Anyway try it if you like, this is how mine is set up below (you can also add other files to the registry backup as well!)

Edited to add: Oops! The file to edit the backup info is scanreg.ini!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, there is more. Following is as much as I wrote down. I will copy all of it the next time it happens.

An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C0069F8 in VxD VMM(01) ...

If more matters, I'll have it the next time it happens. From about 7:45pm til I turned computer off after 10:00pm, it did not happen. Then, this morning, after having been turned on for just a few minutes, it happened again. I have now had computer on for about 20 minutes. By the way, I did find in early troubleshooting yesterday that this happens whether online or not.

Banned Member
    Thanks

There are several error messages like yours and you will need all of the error code to find a solution. You can check the links I gave you in my other post amd you will find a list of those errors to search through. If you will post the WHOLE Error I will see what I can find. These errors have vast differences in solutions, so we will need as much info as we can get. Like for instance, did this just happen, had you loaded any new programs right before this happened, had you made any kind of changes? Is there something you noticed that might trigger the error?

My guess from what I have seen so far is you may need to download the latest Drivers for your Video Card. It wouldn't hurt to try the above mentioned by Mike Boot to DOS and type {scanreg /restore} don't forget the space between scanreg and /
    choose one of the dates that is before your problem started, and see what happens. You could also do a Repair Install by putting your Win98 CD in and running the Upgrade Option. It will load Win98 over the top of the existing and repair any missing files and such.

Lounger
    Thanks

I had a little time before work this morning to look at your responses. Thanks! I will be working on this later this evening (once first day of school shopping is done--older kids don't get their supply lists until the first day of school--ugh!). I do plan to copy down the text of the entire blue screen's message the next time it happens (and, since I now want it to happen, you know it won't!). I'll reply as soon as I have something. Thanks again.