New Lounger
    Thanks

Locking Text & Forms (Office 2000 Pro)

I am trying to put together some basic forms and letterhead. I want to lock the text and or lines on the forms. I went through the "dummy" book and I can't figure it out. I tried templates, nope. I tried protect document, but that only allows it for that doc. I am trying to create forms & letterheads that I can type in but not have the master text be moved etc. I would sure appreciate some assistance. Thanks, Rich

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locking Text & Forms (Office 2000 Pro)

Hi Rich:
    Create a document the way you want & protect it for forms. Then save it as a template, not as a Word document. Then you can create new protected documents based on that template by going to File/New... & selecting that template.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. However, I did as you instructed and the text in the "template" is NOT locked. Here's what I have. Letterhead with business info at bottom of page. I protected it as "Forms" then "save as" "template". Closed word & re-opened and selected that doc. It was locked all right. I couldn't add anything in the blank body of the letter. When I unprotected it the letterhead and other text was movable, which is what I don't want. Can I lock the text on the doc and be able to add text around it? Like a layer of the text I don't want to move, then be able to print the entire doc? I hope this makes sense.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rich:
    You have to keep the form locked to prevent editing of text outside of form fields. You can password protect it, if you wish to prevent others from editing the form. In order to have a place where you can type in text, you either have to put a form field OR have sections in your document. You can then protect certain sections (e.g. the letterhead) & keep other sections unprotected.
    Hope I've understood what you want.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Place the elements you don't want to move in the Header of the document. You can use floating graphics if you want the elements such as the logo to sit in an area outside of the header. Placing these part of the page in the header takes them out of the general area for the content but doesn't actually locks them. Anyone can move them if they want to go out of their way to do so.

If you need further assistance on working with the header, let us know.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,
    Thanks again for th reply. I do believe you understand what I'm attempting. How do I "...put a form field OR have sections in your document. You can then protect certain sections (e.g. the letterhead) & keep other sections unprotected." Thanks, Rich

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rich:
    To put form fields in a document:
    1. Right click a blank spot on a toolbar & select the Forms toolbar. You'll see various buttons on it.
    2. Place the cursor where you want to insert a form field.
    3. Click the button that has letters on it & a text form field will be inserted. You can then right click the field & choose Properties to make modifications to it. Press F1 or Shift+F1 while you're in the Property box to get an explanation of the various functions.
    4. I like to click the shading button on the toolbar, so you can see where the form fields are. It doesn't affect the printing.

To put a continuous (or other type of section break) in your document:
    1. Go to Insert/Break... & choose the type of break. You'll probably want a continuous section break after the letter head, just before variable text will go.
    2. You can place one above the signature block, if that will remain the same.

Then, when you go to Tools/Protect Document.../Forms, you'll see an options box & that will let you protect some sections & not others. You will not be able to edit the protected sections, except where there is a form field inserted.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, sir.