Lounger
    Thanks

Overheating (WinXPP/SR1)

I just installed a new utility that tells me the hard drive temperature and it running at 41

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Overheating (WinXPP/SR1)

Your Hard Drive Temp is not to bad, but if you want to keep it cooler, install a Hard Drive Cooler . {From $6.99 to $14.99}.
    I have This One on mine,{$19.00} Temp normally runs at about 30 to 35C. It fits in the Slot that the Hard Drive goes in and the Hard Drive slides into it. The fans then blow across the Hard Drive cooling it down.

What size CPU do you have? I have a Pent III 933MHZ overclocked at 1050MHZ for 2 years now. My normal Temp is 47 to 50C. You can get a bigger better Heatsink Fan and it will probably bring the Temp down 4 or 5 degrees.
    Cooler Master Aero 4 Sleeved $ 28.95 For Socket 478
    Cooler Master Aero 7 Lite Sleeved$19.95 For Athlon/Socket 370

Make sure the CPU is not crowded with wires and stuff were it can breath and get circulation. Use a good Thermal Paste between the CPU and Heatsink. Also make sure your case has good circulation and it's not to closed up. Keep it clean from dust and dirt.

Exhaust fans are important.120mm and 80mm {From $10.00 to $20.00}

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks cowboydawg.
    I will probably get a harddrive cooler and another case fan next month.

Lounger
    Thanks

Cowboydawg, I forgot to tell me, I have an Athlon XP 1700 CPU.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Not to worry, I think Athlon has a tendency to run a little hot. But it wouldn't hurt to add some extra cooling.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

[puzzled] Surely this should have gone in Hardware rather than Windows XP??
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yeah, but it's a day late and a dollar short. Besides it's a new Lounger. Be patient, he will learn. I was so busy trying to help the guy I never noticed. To be honest, when someone is asking for help, I don't pay much attention to what Forum it's in. I do that, when I post my plea for help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll just chip in and we can move or stay here, whatever. First, the temps in question aren't really all that bad, well within what's acceptable. For an AMD CPU, anything below 60c is considered safe. Now for a couple of no cost "tweaks" that may help:

1) Open up the case and do a good dusting, especially around the cpu/heatsink fan area, around the power supply and especially the psu fan.

2) Clean up any wiring that may be blocking airflow in the case. I like using little cable ties, but you can get pretty outrageous with the customized computer look.

3) As above, airflow is king. Also pertains to the outside of the case. Got all your old Woody's books piled up around the computer? Give em a new home. Give your computer plenty of air. Of course, sitting in the sun or on top of the heater vent don't help, neither.

4) If you do add fans, think of the old adage of heat rising. You want air intake fans in the lower (usually front) part of the case (tower), and exhaust in the back/top.

5) The idea is to create as much air turbulence as possible inside the case. You want the air to blow around in there! Some experimentation may be required, and it's possible to add fans and actually Increase temps (doesn't happen often, though).

6) Probably the biggest gain in temp control will come with the installation of a newer bigger badder heatsink/fan combo. If you've got a storebought computer, it probably skimped or used a factory hsf. For about $30-40 you can get a much better one. You'll have to deal with the whole issue of "silver grease" but it's all really pretty easy. Just remember to check out the noise levels of any fan you consider. Some of them suckers are LOUD!!

have fun,
    don't get too bit, it can get contagious (right Cowboy!?!)

kip

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yep, It's very contagious. I love building these babys.