Thread: Invisible Drive

Thanks

Invisible Drive

I screwed up somewhere...

I was trying to find some files, and wanted to look on a backup set I had from when I had tried to set up NTFS...

I had an "empty" partition, ("F") so I restored the backup to it... that went fine. I got the files I wanted, and then set up to re-set the partition for FAT32...

I can't reformat it because DOS cannot see it... so I thought I would go into FDISK and delete the partition...

FDISK sees the partition, but it won't delete it, because it says there are logical drives... but FDISK shows no logical drives...

So how do I clear off that partition, or else delete it, so I can re-set it to FAT32?

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Invisible Drive

When you say reset it to Fat32, what is it now? NTFS? Maybe I'm not following you correctly. It seems you backed up some files to it and now you want to change it to Fat32 from NTFS, is this correct? I have never tried , but it's my understanding that it is very difficult to revert NTFS to Fat32. They say PowerQuest Partition Magic will do it.

I found this at Techrescue.net

Deleting an NTFS Partition
    How easy it is to delete an NTFS drive depends on your existing operating system and drive set up.

If you use Windows 9x or ME then you will have to use FDISK to delete the NTFS drive - see 'Delete Non-DOS Partition' in the FDISK guide

If you use Windows 2000 or XP then you can delete the drive in the 'Disk Management' service of 'Computer Management.

Simply right click the drive you wish to delete and click 'Delete Partition' from the context menu. If this option is greyed out (As it would be for a Primary Boot or System drive) then you will have to use an alternative method of removing the partition such as FDISK or the Windows 2000/XP set up process

You can read the whole thing here Techrescue

Thanks

Re: Invisible Drive

Cowboy:

This whole thing got VERY confusing...

I finally fixed it by starting a new install of Win2K, which did recognize the NTFS partition, and allow deletion, and then set a new FAT32 partition... But, FYI:

1) It WAS an NTFS partition, which I backed up with Norton Ghost;
    2) Then I re-formatted it as a FAT32 partition;
    3) Then, in my search for a file(s) I restored the NTFS partition, which "it" SAID would overwrite any thing there prior...
    4) I found the files I was looking for;

Brief aside here:

While the partition was set to NTFS, DOS could NOT read it, which is correct, but Win@K, on a DOS partition, COULD, so I had both going at once...

5) Then I wanted to delete the NTFS partition, so that I could set it up again as FAT32...

But THIS is where FDISK wouldn't let me delete it... Said I had logical drives that I had to delete first... But I had NO logical drives... And FDISK showed me as having NONE... NONE that is, until I wanted to delete the partition and then it kept saying that I DID have logical drives...

Win2K's install saw the partitions correctly, and I was therefore able to delete the NTFS partition and re-set it up for FAT32...

God, that even confuses me...

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"