New Lounger
    Thanks

Open Outlines/Insert Slides from Outlines (PowerPoint 2000)

This feature is not installed on any of my work machines but I don't seem to be able update the Office installation successfully to get the text converter installed. Is there a trick?
    Speaking of tricks, my home Office installation has had SP3 through it. Is it safe to add the Outlines text converter from my origninal Office installation disks? If I successfully get the text converter installed on a work machine, is it simply a file I could find in the PowerPoint program folder or Windows system folders and copy to the same location on my home machine?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open Outlines/Insert Slides from Outlines (PowerPoint 2000)

I don't know of special tricks, but you certainly can't just copy a file. There will be some registry entries involved, and finding out which can be tricky.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What happens when you go to Insert/Slides from Outlines or try to open an outline from PPT? Are the outlines set up as RTF, TXT, DOC, etc?

This fix was given for a user who got no dialog box at all when trying to use Insert/Slides from File. I wonder if your situation is similar? Be sure to back up the registry before trying this!

Click Start, Run, Regedt32, OK
    Allow full control to users of the following keys:
    HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0
    HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0
    Security - Permissions - check "Allow inheritable permissions" - Allow full control to all users.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Echo,
    Thanks for your replies to my questions on the powerpoint viewer and the open outlines in powerpoint. I've sorted all that out, it was mainly memory problems (mine no the computer), I did a lot of this stuff a couple of years ago which I've been asked to redo and I'd pretty much forgotten how I did it all.

I came across your echo's voice site in the meantime and it's a fantastic resource, so thanks for the site as well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ahhhh, believe me, I know about those memory things! Glad to hear you got it worked out.