3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Delays to open first email (OE6)

When I start OE it takes around 3 minutes before it opens. When I choose to read, send, forward or create a new email, it takes another 2 minutes. After that, the response is immediate.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Delays to open first email (OE6)

Have you got an extremely large number of messages present in your InBox, or Sent Mail, (or other) Folders, and do any/many of these have Large Attachments?

If you've been running OE for a long time on the same machine, you could try doing File => Folders => Compact All Folders, which might assist, although personally I don't see any obvious sign of it reducing the size of (say) the Inbox.dbx file.

PS a good tip is to right click on the Headings which say From / Subject / Received (or whatever), Select "Columns" and click on Size, to cause a tick to appear in the box. This gives you a column with the size of each [message+attachment]. You may find this very enlightening!

Has it been a long time since you defragmented your hard disk, by the way?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your tips.
    Yes, I refragment my hard disk regularly. I don't understand why it takes so long to open or create the first email, and after that opening or creating others is instant.
    I thought (and still suspect) it was an issue with my virus program, McAfee, but (of course) they take the Sgt Shiltz approach.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John had some good ideas. I know you aren't 'logging in per se' and the author knows it but this article may help:

If you haven't I recommend you're updaing OE to OE6SP1, IE 6 to IE6 SP1, and to get the latest cumulative patches for both. While I know this is performance rather than security, security isn't the only thing those patches help:

Update OE 6 SP1 for Features Other than Security :

331923: An Overview of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express SP1
    Download Site for OE6 SP1

Update IE6SP1 for Features Other Than Security:

IE6SP1
    822825: August 2003, Cumulative Patch for IE

Also refer to:

From Tom Koch of Tomsterdam Fame:

OE Performance Issues
    Speed Up 'Login Time' Outlook Express
    How to Maintain Your OE Store Folder Part I
    How to Maintain and Clean OE Part II